Camshaft Replacement

Racer75

Tuner
Car
BMW 323i (e36)
Hi folks

The camshaft in my project car is trashed and I'm looking to renew it, but without paying £600 for a professional (on a real budget) and its the sort of hands on job I would like to be able to do. Has anyone renewed a camshaft before and would be kind enough to pass on any advice (such as the assembly process. (ie, lubricating the shaft during assembly))?

Also, if I was to go with a bigger camshaft, what sort of changes would I need to make (ECU, Injectors etc.)?
Any and all advice would be helpful. :)

Cheers

Back in the day many years ago when I thought it was fun to get my hands dirty, I changed the camshaft on my Cortina 1600. What a chuckle that was :( Decided to fit a camshaft from a GT version including the springs too. Never again, it worked and there was a slight difference in performance noticed but not as much as I hoped. Things have moved on considerably since the old days, so unsure how easy or difficult your task will be now. We do have some marvellous people on here who will have done this many times before, so hopefully they will be along in a while to steer you in the right direction. Good luck buddy.

it depend entirly on the engine design really.
If its got an ecu then you will need a new map with a bigger cam . Personally I doubt that changing a cam on its own wil give huge gains and if it did you would probably need to change a lot of other stuff as well.

Last edited:
BMWs are generally pretty easy to work on, the front engine rear drive arrangement does seem to have some additional benefits over the obvious ones. Which model are you working on?