Camper cuts out?

BevB

Car
1973 Bay
Hi everyone

I have owned my1973 VW Bay for 8 years.
I have had a LOT of restoration done on it, including a replacement vega engine block. Up until now it has been running fantastically. We store it for 6 months of the year, then put it back on the road for using.
For the last three attempts of taking it out over the last week or so it has been cutting out, for whatever reason? There is fuel in the tank before you ask. :)

What happened the first time was that we drove it 70 odd miles from home for the ignition to cut out in low revs near our destination, then started again after a few attempts. (The engine seems to sound a little different to me also, I've owned vw classics for 25 years.)
It will start and rev up if you hold the ignition key in the on position, but the moment you let go the 'G' light comes on and the engine stops. I have had 'our guy' look at it who is the only person I would ever let touch it and he seemed to think maybe dirt had got into the carb. He cleaned it, replaced fuel lines and filter and even a 'pin' inside the carb. You would probably know more of what he is talking on that than me. :)

Can anyone advise as to what they think might be the problem. As I said the 'G' light comes on on low revs then cuts out, but will only let us throttle the engine if we 'hold' the key into the start position. When we let go it cuts straight out.

Our vw mechanic has asked us to get it over to him, as he can't come to us, so any ideas to get it started and running would help.

Many thanks

Bev

Welcome to the forum mate:)
If I read right? Its running ok if you hold the ignition key. So the first thing i'd check is your ignition barrel/key.
Being nearly 40 these parts will have worn

Thanks for the advice, yes it will allow us to rev the engine if we hold the key, but g light and engine cut out when we let it go? I'll mention this to our guy and see if he has a spare he can try, thanks so much. Bev