Cam question

creature

Torque Junkie
Car
mg zs 1.8
Hello, i found these cams which im intrested in;

ARKBP285H - ULTIMATE ROAD. Not recommended for use with std injection – requires hydraulic tappets.

was wondering if anyone has experience useing pipers cams? And has anyone got any suggestions on what i could replace the std injection with?

regards mark

Don't do it. They will be too lumpy low down for daily use. Often these cams will wear very quickly. I'd stick with a mild fast road cam unless you are planning to just use the car on a track and keep revs over 3000 rpm all of the time.

I'm thinkin of cams for my primera an I've been lookin at some Kent Fast Road cams. They are a very popular choice for entry level cams and do claim a good bhp increase for the money. :bigsmile::bigsmile: And Kent Cams are very popular anyway.

unless you are planning to just use the car on a track and keep revs over 3000 rpm all of the time.
i kinda like having petrol :).

thanks for the responce, looks like fast road is the way to go. Would you reccomend kent cams over piper?

i kinda like having petrol :).

thanks for the responce, looks like fast road is the way to go. Would you reccomend kent cams over piper?

I would myself but thats only because i've heard better things about kent cams. Piper cams are good but kent in my opinion do the best all round cam.... But like I say thats my opinion.

What about mail order then? You get a beter returns policy with mail orders udner the distance selling regulations?

I used piper 633 cams in my old 1.8 (exactly the same engine as yours) and with other mods made good power (see sig :blink1:)

Unfortunatly that set was the only set ive EVER seen for sale.

It was specced between the 270 fast road and the 285 cam you have listed above.

May be worth trying to contact them directly to see if they still make it

intresting does anyone know of a step by step on cam changes? or would you reccomend i get this done by a pro?

im looking at a set of kent cams with a power band between 2000-6000rpm.

To be honest im really only after accerlation rather than a greater top end. So i presume would get power from quicker than the current cams or am i reading it incorrectly? im still new to this stuff

Last edited:
hello Creature , unless you have the tools or a car transporter , i wouldnt attempt this modification . Not trying to put you off but cam selection & timming is critical & unless developing the engine with further modifications you will sacrifice reliability and driveability ie move the torque curve outside " normal rev range" . give some thought to taking you car to a GOOD very GOOD dyno tuner and if possible have the cams dialled in ( i dont know the type of engine you have) to suit the type of driving you do & a full tune . what ever you decide to do its important that its enjoyable regards

thank you and no i dont really have either tools nor a transporter. ill look into dynos and so forth thank you.

its the standard 1.8 k series rover engine.

good to hear , should be money well spent . the only rover motors ever seen was 3.5 ltr v8 and 4.? alluminium V8 in mgb's modified from p76 leyland iam in Australia the cars are very different again enjoy what you do regards

Piper are usually what most people choose for the k series engines, either the 270 grind which is a mild fast road, or the 633 which is fast road. You will probably want some vernier pulleys so that you can get the timing bang on (although i ran mine on standard pullys)

them 285 cams are more meant for a throttle bodied set up i used to run them on my old 192 bhp mg zr they were a great cam even on the road they were spot on (even better on track)

Last edited: