Caliper painting.

Calipers? As in the back of the brake pads you can see through the wheel? I've heard of the paint for them but i can't decide what colour to do mine if i do decide to do them as i haven't really touched the car yet so i'd want them to go with the interior etc i think

I know some people use Smooth hammerite. I'll be doing an article on it soon but I just wondered if there are any pointers or tips that need to be passed on.

i have a few, i ended up painting mine black because the red was a crap shade, if it was darker and metallic i would have chosen it but all that was available was matt colours.

the instructions say that youu dontt have to do any dismantling but if you do it looks better, scrub down the calipers or drums and make sure they are clean with appropriate chem cleaners, avaid breathing brake dust as it can contain asbestos, maks the discs or drums (where the wheel comes in contact) dont put too many coats on otherwise you wont be able to reassemble and use a proper brush instead of those in the kit. hope that helped probable things that are common sensical.

it depends on time and competence, the threadlocked bolts have to be replaced as they are rendered useles once removed (as i found... :shock: ) and disassembling the whole caliper will allow more control and access to those tricky areas plus gives you a better finish. up to personal preference.

waynne, waynne, waynne... :rolleyes:

very good, its a shame about the quality of the paints readily available for calipers and drums. the gold brembo calipers do look amazing, and its hard to get that kind of finish :(

Yeah - the gold is very nice. I bet it shows up the brake dust quickly though. The hammerite range now do a good range of colours and quite a few people have used that to good effect.