Torque Cars

Calibra running problems

Discussion in 'Calibra' started by geomac53, 5 January 2009.

1. geomac53

geomac53 Newbie

scotland
    Car:
    calibra 2.0 ecotec
    Re: Introduce yourself here

another newbie...just got a 95 plate calibra 2.0 16v.... replaced the idle valve but it still stops when ervs drop and only rarely will tick over...any ideas guys ?

2. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Hi and welcome. Does it do this when warm or cold or both? When was it last serviced?

3. BAD63R

BAD63R Authorised Trader

Cornwall
    Car:
    MG TF135
    Hehe, now we're talking my "Cally" lingo lol. Right, first off, buy yourself a new Air Mass Sensor as the 2.0 Eco-tec one die very easily. Then next on the list would be to take off the Idle Air Control Valve and soak it in carb cleaner or peterol over night to clean it all out. Spray the tiniest bit of lube grease into it so it doesn't seaze and then re-fit to engine. If after these have been done you still have the same problem, let me know and i'll talk you through the other possiblities ;)

Also, does it have an aftermarket Cone Airfilter on? If so, take it off and replace with standard air box and buy an aftermarket PANEL filter instead ;)

4. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    My friend had the very same problem on her Calibra and all I did was spray inside the throttle body with the engine running. Her car now runs sweet as a nut.. Hope your prob is as easily fixed as hers was...:bigsmile: Oh and Welcome to Torque Cars......:bigsmile:

5. geomac53

geomac53 Newbie

scotland
    Car:
    calibra 2.0 ecotec
    thanks guys for your ideas.....already serviced the car...i bouyght on ebay for 155..it had been lying in the street or a year or more...new oil, plugs filter etc...replaced the idle valve but still wouldnt tick over.....was gonna replace the MAS but decided to book it into garage for diagnostic.............. from that moment on it hasnt stalled once!!!:)....im assuming ther MAS was dirty or perhaps dirty fuel going thru , but thanks guys...

6. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Didn't the garage tell you what the actual problem was? Good to hear mate hope it stays that way buddy. Happy driving mate....:bigsmile:

7. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    If its been standing then break it in gently. Give everything time to free up inside again.;)

8. BAD63R

BAD63R Authorised Trader

Cornwall
    Car:
    MG TF135
    What he said ^^^