Cadence v ABS

Thing is it cannot all be taught before test time. A test pass is simply a basic minimum level that allows the driver to continue driving (without being accompanied by a 'qualified' driver) and learn whilst doing so.

Thing is it cannot all be taught before test time. A test pass is simply a basic minimum level that allows the driver to continue driving (without being accompanied by a 'qualified' driver) and learn whilst doing so.

Yes, you are right... But when I was first learning I wish I was taught how to correct skids and react correctly in an accident etc, I had to learn from my brother. I think the test is far too easy! When I did mine, I was honestly stunned as to how some one can fail it.

Yep - know about the berk in front syndrome
which is still down to an action albeit someone elses. driving at 40 is not going to cause an accident without some kind of action involved. bearing in mind that when trains were first invented it was generally believed that the human body could not survive at speeds of over 15MPH. that is the mentality that the speed kills campaign is on similiar lines to which is complete nonsense. speed is nothing more than a contributary factor but it is highly unlikely to be the sole cause of any accident. there is always a chain of events coming together. for example, if you are on a dual carriageway at 60MPH and a tractor pulls out in front of you, you may be able to avoid it at a lower speed whereas at 60 you cant but your speed is not what caused the incident in the first place. it was the tractor drivers decision to pull out in front of you that created the problem

So speed doesnt kill anyone because it wasnt the actual speed that did it ?

So are you saying that even if the conditions are perfect and a driver is on a road with no other traffic near him in a perfectly maintained car and he loses control on a bend because he was going too fast.......................

speed wasnt the cause ?

In a word yes

ABS is a neccessary "evil" on most cars but it isnt designed for todays cars IMHO it is designed for todays drivers

The average 4 x 4/people carrier driver doesnt understand what a skid is let alone what to do if it happens . Without abs there would be far more accidents because today virtually eveyone drives so the average skill level is much lower that it used to be

Reviving a worthwhile old subject

Sadly I have to agree as modern cars are packed with so many electronic gizmos that require less and less driver skill that IMO tends to lead people to regard themselves as better drivers than they actually are.

I agree with all of Sleeper and HDI's comments |B

Would recommend that the earlier posts be read and understood.

I pass my test (notice I don't say learned to drive)

HDI was very insightful when he realized the difference between passing and learning to drive, something IMO that so many fail to realize and understand otherwise the after test defensive and advanced training schools would be going flat out 24/7

In my ideal world a license would be harder to get not easier.

I have sat beside people of both sexes and all ages that have passed the test ,some new some old during training courses held at closed venues that have been too frightened to brake hard in the emergency stop brake test as well as take their hands off the wheel when the car skidded on a skid pan or locked up the brakes and sailed straight on in the emergency lane change exercise cleaning up all or most of the cones marking the lanes.

Last edited: