C3Mike

C3mike

Car
Citroen C3 1.6 D.
? My C3 1.6 HDi 92 diesel has over a period of 12mths started using more fuel Last physical check was 56mpg. [Was around 61+mpg] It's been serviced as per and I'm not carrying any extras. Mileage 42K
Tyre pressures are 32psi and reasonably new.
I've not noticed much drop in performance. Emissions are normal.
Not a rocket science device, but I seem to notice these days that the fuel gauge drops when starting a journey [I've not taken any notice before - might be paranoia] or, could it be something to do with cold starting? I've always used the car in the same way and for roughly similar journeys - if anything I drive with more care these days - economy in mind [would you believe]
If anyone out there has any suggestions I'd be grateful.
This is my first time on this site so only helpful suggestions, lol thanks.

The cold winter weather can cause a drop in MPG. Check the wheels all rotate freely, a worn bearing can sometime cause drops in MPG.

Has your driving style changed much? I do believe that most of the MPG drops we hear about are due to driving style rather than mechanical problems with the car.

Thanks Waynne for your reply, but I get the feeling that the car seems to surge very slightly while driving 'throttle steady' on level or uphill surface [more when cold] Not sure if this is imagined though. Am going on a 1000mile round trip this week [mostly motorways] so I might have a clearer impression after that. Recent calculations show 52mpg - around 10mile per gall less than when I first had the car. I've not tried the wheels for freeness yet, so can't comment on that - too late to try before the trip, but it was serviced not long ago without a fault report [not conclusive, I know] but the garage is usually on the ball. I will let you know on return Thanks again.
Mike

Last edited:
Loz, thanks for your comments. Glow plugs and fuel filter I understand, but what is EGR?
The car was serviced within the last eight months, possibly 9000 miles ago, and nothing untoward was reported. I had the emissions checked because of this about 1 month ago and was told it showed no abnormal consumption rate and was well within normal limits. 'Waynne' says it could be wheels not running freely [bearings/brakes problems] which I will check ASAP, but I am setting off early tomorrow [high mileage trip] and unless I get problems I wont be able to check prior to the first leg of the journey.
I will be in touch again at a later time
Thanks for helpful advise so far Mike

no its nearer the engine than the cat.

in short its a valve that opens to allow some exhaust gas back into the intake. its supposed to reduce emmissions by lowering the combustion temps but the valve can get blocked up. more common on diesel engines where the exhaust gases are more sooty

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back