Buying new car.

choness2004

Torque Junkie
Car
Honda Civic EG
Hi all,

Having brought my Saxo for £100 a few weeks ago and had nothing but problems with it, I am selling it for £200 or scrapping it (£200 was what I was offered for it) and getting something else.

I have attached a few links and would like to see what you all think? The Saxo is exactly the same as mine, just blue instead of green and has a rather long MOT. The 306 really intrests me, as a friend of mine has one and personally, I love the shape.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...n/radius/20/postcode/gu321pr/page/1?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...368269767/usedcars/postcode/gu321pr?logcode=a

Opinions would be great! Thanks guys.

The Peugeot gets my vote, it is also mroe economical and cheaper to run than the Saxo in terms of fuel cost.

Take the 306 unless something about it is wrong or amiss.

Much as I am a true fan of automatic transmission I really cannot see it working that well in a Saxo with only 1.4 litres to haul it around.

The Peugeot also has better safety equipment as well as being a larger and stronger car anyway.

The performance will not set you on fire, the 1.6 and 1.8 models aren't rockets either but Peugeot has a habit of offering well spaced gear ratios and well weighted clutches which make even the most modest of their cars fun to drive. You've got PAS as well which is essential to my jaded old mind.

I remember driving a 1.4 litre (yes, you heard it here first) Peugeot 405 back in 1988 and that gave a surprisingly good account of itself in basic fettle.

Check the price though - £995 is top whack for that model at that age and I don't see any evidence of history so don't pay over the odds.

Happy hunting.

That guys, the 306 is the one I am looking at with interest, so it may be getting a better look on Saturday!

HDi, I'm guessing you think it is well over priced then? I never asked if it had any history when I rang, how much would you pay if it didnt or would you steer clear?

At that age it's quite reasonable to buy on condition only but even if it's immaculate I'd think about £850 is a more reasonable figure for a dealer supplied car (this is for the 306). Check it over thoroughly. Make sure everything works and note anything that doesn't.

Leave the Saxo alone I suggest unless you're mad keen on them.

Some dealers work hard to add 'value' to their cars. Without history I treat any car as a high mileage one and pay (or indeed, don't pay) accordingly.

Better to have an honest 250,000 miler which has been looked after than a dishonest 73,000 miler which is overpriced and tired.

The 12 months MoT is not a bargaining tool for the dealer. Would you buy a car without it?

I see no mention of road tax so if you need a negotiating tool then that's your weapon.

from the photos looks pretty clean, one thing i always use for bargaining (apart from the tax as suggested by HDi above) is tyres, if they are looking pretty warn then you can always try and wrangle a couple of new ones as its a garage selling it.