buying a vauxhall frontera

tabbra182

Car
Renult Clio
hi all im thinking about buying a frontera i would like to pik ya brains i would like to know evry think about them wot goes wrong with them all the sats an evry think you know

Hi there tabbra182. Avoid the early ones as they had many problems from electrical to mechanical and everything else in between.

Always insist on a Full service history preferably at the main dealer. Otherwise you may end up paying to repair years of neglect.

What model are you looking at? The SWB models are best IMHO but none of them are particually quick or good at handling.

I bought a LWB 2.5 TDS last year as a run around for a few months. Built like a Tank, it had a fairly good service history but not perfect, the car itself was near perfect. Never had a single problem with mine oh and it wasn't a newer version, it was an N reg iirc.

This is the one I had:-

1-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

What a beast she was lol.

Very comfortable to be honest. Great driving position as the seat is very low to the floor of the car. The switchable 2 and 4 wheels drive system is great and you can drive normally on the roads and play off road if you want to :) The only thing I had against it was the fact that when you have it in 2 wheel drive (need for the road as it will damage the 4x4 system) it's the rear wheels that drive. So in the wet it can be a little back end happy if you have a model with alot of torque (like the 2.5TDS lmao). I read good reviews from 4x4 and Off Road owners clubs and they actually rated them quite high. Just make sure when you buy one all the electrics and swtches are ok and you'll be fine ;)

thanx for all the info im thinking of buying the lwb 2.5 td one an i woz told that the pre 1994 models are the vauxhall engin which had alot of problems but the models after that had the izuzu engin in an they are alot betta is this true???

thanx

Actually it's the other way round. The 2.5 and 3.0 Isuzu engine that were used never used to last more than 50,000 miles without out goin pop at some point> Stick with The Vauxhall type like i did ;)

iv found this 1994 M Reg VAUXHALL Frontera 2.3 TD 5 Doors, Manual, Station Wagon, Diesel, 123,000 miles, Red. Adjustable seats, Central locking, Cloth upholstery, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Power assisted steering, Radio/CD, Sunroof, Towbar. Insurance Group:10, Trade in Part Ex for sale, 1 years MOT will be put on this car for buyer, Taxed 04/2009, Lovely runner and in great condition. Pulls well no smoke from turbo, Very Clean £900 is this one ov the betta ones?????

what do you all think

thanx

Last edited:
SH is essential, I've bought cars which have not have a recent full service and just ended up with some massive bills as things started to break. A FSH shows the owner has cared for the car and tells you that it is likely to be reliable. Lack of a FSH implies the car has been neglected.

It doesn't have to be main dealer as long as it is done thoroughly by a competant garage and they check the fluid levels, belts, brakes etc as per the service book.

I've had a short wheelbase 1996 2.8TD sport for almost 4 years, came with full S/H done 112k miles now. In all that time I've spent only £30 on clutch slave cylinder and an exhaust as well as the usual servicing and tyre. Been 100% reliable and am now really sad as a slight bump with the local HomeBase building (slightly bent bonnet,smashed fog light, tiny dent in one wing from bull bars bending back in the front) has led to the insurance company writing it off. I bought it back from them as I thought I'd get it re-registered but just haven't got time to do it. Excellent condition for age, Engine etc great.
Will probably end up scrapping it soon as the other half isn't happy about it taking up drive space.
Top Tip if you are buying one Check It , Check It and insist upon the history. I spent ages finding a good one, most are complete tat and knowing other people with them who have spent £ lots putting them right.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back