Buy personalised number plates

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on personalised number plates? If you don't have one then what are your reasons for not bothering.

Here are my reasons for not owning one?
1) W47NNE is not available
2) Traffic wardens and police would notice me more so I'd be more prone to get caught doing something.
3) I can recognise my car and remember the current number plate.
4) I can think of things other than this to spend my money on.

So if 1) and someone was buying me it as a gift I would go for it.

Over to you, your thoughts....

(If you have a personalised plate then do any of my 4 reasons hold up under scrutiny?)

For me personalised number plates are like tattoos, I can't decide if I want one or not! Occasionally I wander over to the DVLA site & have a play, but I can never settle on a number I like. It is tempting though & there's loads of plates that can be had for just a couple hundred spods, like you Waynne I can't have the one I do want, R118 VVC. :amuse:

Just for nob's, every person i have ever met without exception who has had a personalised plate has struck me as being a nob

I wanted KN 08 BER but apparently it was already on a V.W. so i settled for the plate that i have. It cost me a few quid but it's my money, i earned it, i pay enough tax to keep dross in the lifestyle they are accustomed to with their benefits so i can justify it.:):lol:

Just for nob's, every person i have ever met without exception who has had a personalised plate has struck me as being a nob

Awesome cheers ;).

I have W8 RKB on the Passat W8 and R3 RKB on the Passat R36.

Achievement-FootinMouth.jpg

:lol:

think personalised plates are ok . for the right reasons,

if like me you have a small fleet of commercial vehicles its nice to have plates that get your company recognised.
or to disguise the year of your car especially if its a long running model.
can make a nice gift for someone.

The R3 RKB plate I bought back when I had my 150'000 mile Passat 1.8T that was in mint-condition but was getting on in terms of age. It's then travelled from car to car with me since.

The W8 RKB plate was a present from my girlfriend.

I was looking at getting one for my MG, to make it different but decided not to bother seeing it'll be a track car now. As for the Disco, yes I am looking for one purely to remove the year and make it personal, the one I was looking at was under £300. However the wife wanted K4THY until see saw the price :p

Got mine as a combined Christmas-Birthday-Christmas present a few years ago (or maybe it was Birthday-Christmas-Birthday - not that it really matters).

Father's, on the other hand, not only has his initials, but also commemerates the date of formation of a very large charitable organisation - how no-one else picked up on it we don't know, but we snapped it up quick whilst it was so cheap.

i see nothing wrong with having personalized plates on vechicals if thats what you want , dont have one on my cars but was given REDDOG plates for my birthday and put one one in storage the other on my car trailer , its the thought that counts .

I like personalised plates if they're clever and witty. I cannot abide the way people move the black/yellow/white screws about to make it read differently. I also hate the way the letter and number spacing is changed.

To be clever you need to have a 100% legal plate.

My neighbour has 4 vehicles and all have private plates. But he's a chav and they all break the rules which I think make a private plate interesting.

As for cost, well, if the plate is genuinely clever then you will always get your money back when you choose to sell it on. Hence my dislike for the chavvy plates.

A couple of the cleverest ones I've seen are:-

T13 VOM on a 911 Turbo (I have mentioned this before on Torque Cars).

N1 CAD on the delivery vehicle which delivered a 22kVA three phase UPS system which I had ordered on behalf of a business client.

I like personalised plates if they're clever and witty. I cannot abide the way people move the black/yellow/white screws about to make it read differently. I also hate the way the letter and number spacing is changed.

Same here, mine is going on the car exactly as it should, and makes sense like that without being stupid, irrelevent or chavvy imo.

I think you should be able to get away with a cheeky space change as it doesn't make the plate any less readable unlike those screw covers which should just be an instant ban tbh!

ive considered this 1 for a while but i would have to use a cheekily placed black screw to get the 11 to a H:embarrest:
mycar.jpg

Don't do it. Leave it as X11 and thereby leave the chavs wondering. Then again, they won't be wondering. They won't see it at all, the whole car will be invisible because they don't look more than about 10 yards ahead whilst driving their Chavmobiles.

Cheers ;)

Mine is DR O2 RBS
DR for my title, 02 for Os my name, and RBS for the company - which I own! :)

Last edited:
Personalised plates do 3 things:

1) hide the age of the car - personally, I couldnt care less if you think my car is old, makes it funnier when you can't outpace me.
2) tell the person's name - I really, really, really, really, really dont care what your name is. And those, like the owner of B151ANS - spaced as BIG IANS, on my Cawston Grange estate, make me wonder what you are compensating for.
3) repeat in some form the model of the car - why????