burnout

tbh mate wheel spinning only has 1 good use and thats warming your tyres to aid in traction to get the best start of the line other than that (burnouts) its pointless it unesserserally wears your tyres, driveshafts, clutch and gearbox and why to show off to the local 14 year olds hanging out at mcdonalds

im sorry i dont mean to lecture but im getting older and have been there attempted that (didnt have enough power to pull of a burn out)

tbh mate wheel spinning only has 1 good use and thats warming your tyres to aid in traction to get the best start of the line other than that (burnouts) its pointless it unesserserally wears your tyres, driveshafts, clutch and gearbox and why to show off to the local 14 year olds hanging out at mcdonalds

im sorry i dont mean to lecture but im getting older and have been there attempted that (didnt have enough power to pull of a burn out)

And thought it was just me who was a grumpy old killjoy :)

Unless you have fitted a line-lock (allows the locking on of one pair of brakes without holding the brake pedal down) you will need to enlist the help of some friends to stop the car moving forward, pour some water under the front tyres to reduce traction and away you go :)

But, as mentioned previouly, absolutely pointless away from the drag strip unless you have the mental age of a 14 year old.

On street cars with a standard diff you will usually only succeed in getting one wheel to spin which looks pretty lame. You really need a locking or semi locking diff to do a proper burnout.

I've seen the kids doing this in supermarket car parks and they wonder why the car moves off to one side. In untrained hands with a poorly setup car it can be dangerous. It only has a place on the drag strip for warming tyres. You don't even see motorsport drivers doing burnouts before the race.

You don't even see motorsport drivers doing burnouts before the race.

I disagree with this i'm sorry but I do. F1 cars do rolling burnouts before the line as do a few other Types of racing. Plus I was watching something a last year. It was like a champions of champions where all the motorsports came together for some racing. They all did burnout's before they even got out on track. When they wasn't in a 4wd rally car anyway.
But back to the original question.
Doing a burnout is easy. Just rip the handbrake up floor the revs and dump the clutch. It's as simple as that. But unless you've got some good power you won't really do much.

im guessing the primera has equal length drive shafts then???

but alot of cars dont and i think this is what waynne is referring to

No it didn't they were different lengths. It was a 2 litre but honestly it did spin both wheels doing an on the spot burnout or by doing a wheelspin off the line they both broke traction. And I know they where different lengths cause I snapped them both!

Looks like I'm wrong about motorsports drivers then! :eek: ok - I concede the point there TN! ;) Some motorsports drivers do burnouts.

I still stand by the one wheel spins point though in the main. I have to concede that this is not in every case but certainly is the case for the majority of cars. If you have enough power and fairly equal power distribution through the front wheels and each wheel has the same level of grip then yes they will both spin but in the majority of cases you just see one wheel spinning if the car has a standard diff.

Is the doing burnouts and snapped driveshafts a coincidence ;)

Last edited:
I never really did a proper burnout in the Primera but I did reverse once and try to pull off quick but it just lit both wheel up and smoke poured off them. The driveshafts were my fault yes but not through wheel spinning. ;)

Doing a burnout is easy. Just rip the handbrake up floor the revs and dump the clutch. It's as simple as that. But unless you've got some good power you won't really do much.

Of course, forgot about that. I guess it's due to being a RWD man where this wouldn't work :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back