Bumping up the HP & Torque Infiniti I30t V6 190hp (All Stock) ideas/ suggestions??

xairplanedriverx

Hello :) I'm getting ready to bump up the performance of my Infiniti I30t. I've been looking into turbochargers, intercoolers etc. and have a general idea of what I want yet I would rather get some professional opinion before I go ahead and start buying the stuff. So basically the car is all stock, nothing is modded. It doesn't even have a cold air intake :) Now it's at ~190hp and I wanna bump it up as much as I can without blowing the engine. I got ~$700 in my pocket and for that I wanna get a turbo, intercooler, piping, and... anything else required to make all of this work for now. As time goes on and I save more money I can put more into it :) What would be your suggestions?? Lets say I'm buying all new stuff from eBay.

I saw a couple turbos on there that go new for around ~$200 with shipping. Intercoolers are about $110 with shipping etc.

Simply asking, what would you do if you were in my situation now??

P.S. On the other hand- Turbo Timers, I know how they work, but where do I plug them in??

Regards,
Jake

Re: Bumping up the HP & Torque Infiniti I30t V6 190hp (All Stock) ideas/ suggestions?

dont think $700 would get you much thats around £350 for us. even if you get the turbo and pipework relatively cheap youd still neeed to map the ECU to take into account the turbo and more air. this would probably cost around $1000 as it costs us around the £4 - 500 mark
RE the turbo itself youd need to run low boost maybe only 5psi. if you go too high the compression would be too great and the engine would suddenly be in bits. to run more youd need to use low compression rods.

these are only my opinions thou and im no expert

Re: Bumping up the HP & Torque Infiniti I30t V6 190hp (All Stock) ideas/ suggestions?

We don't see many of the I30T's over here. All I know is that the rear leg room is a little restricted - much like in my A3! Other than that I have heard good things about them all over :) The stock suspension is pretty good and it does not have the roll in corners you might expect with a car of this size.

I think you will find it easier to fit and map a supercharger than a turbo. Get a second hand supercharger - a Mercedes Kompressor or Eaton Supercharger will do. This should be cheaper for you.

I would be surprised if you can pull this off within your budget although I do not know what your local prices are like.

A fast road cam/sports exhaust,induction kit and sporty fuel pressure regulator valve should give you a good basis for future tuning and give you a better sounding engine note and the essential extra horses.

I would have expected the 3.0 engine in NASP form to push out close to 280bhp - it sounds to me like it has had its airflow restricted for economy. You might find porting and larger throttle body/AFM will improve the power levels considerably.

Mapping the ECU... I saw some cables on eBay that should help me in succeeding with that mod. I got some experience in programming so with a little help and luck I may just be able to pull it all off by myself :D If I don't try I'll never know...

5psi isn't gonna give me too much power hehe... I was trying to find some low compressions rods on ebay and google but didn't suceed :( Nissan Maxima has the same engine and I couldn't find anything suitable for that either. Can you help me a little bit please?? :/

Supercharger... Sounds bigger, but I did look into this before. I don't know why but I wanted to go more with a Turbo as it's more popular I guess. You also lose a lot of power having a supercahrger. 30% of power will be lost, if I heard right. What are your opinions on that?? If it'll work then I'm certainly up for it :)

Waynne, you said that the engine should be able to go up to 280 horses. How much can I gain from remapping the ECU alone?? Any ideas?? BTW I'm looking to put some cold air intake on it fro now, before I get a turbo or a super. Obviously porting the throttle body will have to be done by a pro... What are the prices in your area?? Just curious...\

Thanks,
Jake

you CAN lower the compression by making a thicker head gasket but you might not be able to lower it enough to get a decent amount of boost ie 14psi ( 1 bar ). dont think i would trust ebay for engine parts that are under strain. you might have to get them custom made.

an ecu remap (maybe a chip with it being a '96 car) you may only get 10bhp even with the 3ltr engine. the cold air intake might give you around the same.

porting the exhaust ports, you can do it yourself theres an aticle on the main site about it. dont touch the intake ports thou.

fitting a larger throttle body could be done by yourself. but youd need to source bigger pipework for it as well.

FYI a remap over here would cost around $600 - 1100 depending on where you go (about £300 - 550)

Good idea on lowering the compression with a thicker head gasket... It won't hurt to try :) BTW talking about the ECU remap- i bought this performance chip online, it cost me like $10. They said it'll increase the HP but I don't really believe it, yet good feedback on eBay and low price pushed me to order it and try it. It won't kill me, I figured :) I read the article on the main page about porting the exhaust, and it seems like something I may just be able to do with my knowledge and abilities.

The supercharger thought. From reading and asking some mechanics around I know that it'll give me boost but only in the high RPM range ~1500RPM of redline. I need something that will give me good performance when launching the car so ~2500RPM to ~3000RPM range would be more than great. UNFORTUNATELY I can only achieve that with a turbocharger, unless I'm VERY wrong- correct me as I'm a "newbie in training" :) I can't wait to modify that exhaust which is probably gonna be the biggest pain ever in that I30 :/

The car has a compression ratio of 10:1. Since this will cause problems- how much can I lower the compression by putting a thicker head gasket in the engine?? What are other ways to go about that?? The goal is 7:1...

One another way is to have the car run on Aviation Gas which is 100 Octanes. This should keep it from knocking pretty well. Add some octane additive to that and perfect fuel is theoretically born. Still, will 10:1 and 20psi of boost work well if 100 Octane and additive are used?? If yes then I'm up for it :D

a supercharger should give you power from idle right up to the redlie as its driven off the engine itself and nt exhaust gases.

the online chip will just alter a reading from the engine. most common ones are inlet air temp or injector duration this has a much bigger chance of damaging the engine.

the headgasket - dont really know how much it will lower it. not to 7:1. anyway need to fit shorter conrods for that

race fuel might be an idea its around 106 octane but it would work out at around $10 a gallon.
just remembered your octane reading and Uk ones are different. i thought 100 for avgas was a little low

I have the same car pretty much but its a 99 maxima same engine thoug, but i was looking for less intrusive mods , maybe a new exahust and remaping , but i read on the forum that it wasn't worth it for petrol cars, any ideas?

The most cost effective method to double the existing power would be Nitrous .

Yea but i was looking for constant power and not doubling it. Just a few more horses and maybe better gas mileage?