Bump strip regeneration

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
Ok after reversing into a wall several years ago ive had a scrape in the rear offside rubstrip for a while.

IMG00035-20090706-1418.jpg

Ok it wasnt really that bad but it has annoyed me for a while as can get the car gleaming but see that - can live with the stone chips on the bonnet although im working on them as well.

ok after reading up the haynes manual it requires removal of the rear bumper.
this seems simple couple of bolts right. wrong. requires removal of rear lights, 2 pop plastic riviets, and 2 bolts below the lights. 3 bolts underneath the valance. rear wheels removed, mud flaps removed - screws were knackered so that was fun and another 6 bolts behind the mudflaps.

ok lights came off easily - just 3 bolts holding them on

IMG00036-20090706-1425.jpg

nearside wheel came off no problems.
screws for the mudflaps drilled out.
4 torx bolts removed
and wheel back on.

round the other side
wheel 3 nuts came off no issue, the VW locking nut came off no issue however the McGaurd one split. ( remember the problem ive had with the key and now this ) 2 bloody hours hammering a 19mm socket on and trying to turn it. finally the key fully split and started turning

IMG00037-20090706-1547.jpg

soon as i got the rest of the torx screws out bumper slid off and a screwdriver at the around 30 clips soon had the strip off

IMG00038-20090706-1556.jpg

couple of coats of primer, 2 or reflex silver and 3 coats of lacuar later.

IMG00040-20090707-0958.jpg

yup - just waiting till later on this afternoon and ill crack out the 2000grit and sand it down a little before polishing and waxing.

currently got my new lower valance sprayed and about to do the 1st coat of lacquer. shame its gan to sit in the dining room for a few months until i get the new exhaust

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back