Build your ultimate sleeper

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the spec of your ultimate sleeper or Q car? Would you go with a small or large car to begin with? Would you do any debadging?

I think I'd be tempted to keep my A3, covert it to RWD and drop in a V10 Lambo engine (I might need to relocate the battery to the boot!):) I would also debadge it and keep external mods to a minumum, perhaps just an exhaust but I'd still hide this behind the bumper.

For me it would need to be about Clio sized as anything bigger is too heavy and affects the handling.

Something turbocharged would suit me fin in teh engine department. I would take all of the badges off and just fit some decent sized rims.

A straight black Mini Clubman with no outer visual modifications, hiding a Zcar rear engine conversion running a 2.0 turbocharged Volvo engine @ 250bhp, LSD, fibreglass body panels, plastic windows (rear windows may have to be tinted to hide engine & roll cage) & Corbeau Alpine Bucket seats (less obvious than a modern style buckets). Driver's side window might have to modified to accommodate the huge silly grin plastered across my face.
thth390_crazy_driver.gif

Last edited:
A Sedate Jaguar 1952 Mk 7 with stock interior- complete with original wood trim-, but with a lightweight tubular chassis and fibreglass panels and powered with a Nissan 30DETT engine souped up to the teeth.

I hadn't thought about old school! What about a Morris Minor with a Hemi engine? I guess the noise will give it away a bit though.

Yes I did see the price, that would mean 20,000 UK Pounds Plus 117% duty plus freight, a staggering total!, this is why we in India are unable to import .

Blimey, why is the duty so high, is it to dissuade you from importing? :confused:

Exactly, also, the car that we intend to import should not be LHD, and if bought used, be less than 5 years old, and in use by the intended importer in the country he/she is living/working in for at least 6 months. Crazy rules, but that's how it is.

Anyone remember the Lada top gear had tuned up in the handling department by Lotus and the fiat twin cam lump tuned by the premier tuner of the time,1000 man hours (Lotus man hours £100,000) and 180bhp Pure Stealth except the paint job.

See it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtsM3eFA7iE

Last edited:
My ultimate sleeper, probably start with a mk4 fiesta (as its the only one that didnt come with a hot version) non facelift, relocate everything that doesnt need to be under the hood to the boot, fit (somehow) a cosworth duratec 2.3 (280bhp) not as powerfull as some cosworths, or a tuned volvo focus st motor, but very light, making a light car into a serious weapon. put the power down via an RS LSD, maybe with an M66, 6 -speed gearbox. mandatory all round disk brakes naturally.

Outside looking completly stock, id even opt for the black steel wheels instead of flashy looking alloys, if i could be botherd, id keep a dummy exhaust on the back from a 1.2 car, but run the real deal out of a downward facing exit behind the bumper, i wouldnt even tint the windows, though i would opt for some recaro seats to keep me in the front of the car when i hit the gas.

cornering could be an issue, something would have to be done about the suspension.

if i could make it work, it could probably surprise a few people.

A friend of mine dropped a 2.7T B5 RS4 lump into an 'S' reg B5 Passat (started life as a V6 4motion) and then fitted huge turbo's lifting power to > 500BHP.

He did nothing to the exterior of the car, it even had a little rust around a wheel arch. The car itself had done ~ 130'000 miles.

This, imho, was a fantastic sleeper. He took it to Santa Pod a while back, and consistently wiped the floor against my R36.