Build it or buy it

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What option do you prefer over buying a car that is 90% where you want it to be performance wise and tweaking it a little, or buying a donor car and doing loads of work to create your dream car?

I don't think many of us on here will stick with stock for long, but the built or bought question still applies as we have different approaches.

What do you see as the pros and cons of each option?

Is any car 90% where you want it to be? I would think most would prefer it that way but in reality there is probably way more than 10% of work required once you get to know it and want to tweak it. Unless you have a super car of course.

Probably not 90%. I sadly think my days of tinkering are past me, I need the family car to be reliable and fun to drive and cheap to run, so I tend to buy a car that is pretty close to my needs, ignore my wants and do little things like remap, tyres, wheels and intake filter mods.

If I had a project car as a second car then I would probably go with a donor, strip it out and get all my wants ticked off.

Like Obi I think that my "tinkering days" are gone since I sold my Starion at least that is what I am telling myself:)

However that being said I will be getting my 2011 Type R a BBK front brake upgrade and getting the suspension settings tweaked and more suited to track days.

Would love to add a supercharger so must be strong and resist the urge :lol:

I think if you buy a good car you are happy with that's just great then you have the option of modding it as you get bored with it. You can do this in stages as your budget allows. At the moment I'm looking for a good stock car to upgrade in a couple of years time. I'm looking at Imprezas and Skylines at the moment.

I've modified most car's I thought of keeping but change the things that were not good. I had a mk2 2dr vauxhall astra estate over 8 years and upgraded the brakes and suspension aswell as engine. Ended up being a great handling fast sleeper I had great fun with. I would still have that sleeper now if I hadn't wrecked it after a rear tyre blew out at 80mph on the M6. Cars are a personal thing and also modification changes. Parts for certain cars can be expensive and others cheap as chip's. That's what I take into consideration. But I've always wanted a Mitsubishi Evo 5 but never had the money when one comes up!

I would have thought that the Evo 6.5 Tommi Makkinen would be the ultimate.

Last edited: