Brummie Newbie

Neil900

Wrench Pro
Car
Saab NG900 SE Turbo
Hi ya, only got my Ng900 se turbo on Wednesday but not had a day off work to play with it yet. Looking to upgrade ICE, induction, suspension & maybe wheels over the next few months or so, overtime allowing. All ideas & advice welcome :)

tcsmileysign.gif

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars car Forum :)

Feel free to have a look around the website, there are many varied and interesting articles to read on all manner of car modifying subjects.
Also, you may find our members project threads and photo gallery very useful as a source of inspirational ideas towards your own special project!
Enjoy! :)

Hi
I also have a se turbo. Great potential with this car for modest outlay. I have done quite a lot of work already. Happy to help !!

Hi
I also have a se turbo. Great potential with this car for modest outlay. I have done quite a lot of work already. Happy to help !!

So what have you done so far? Its going in to have ball joints changed tomorrow as the tracking needs adjusting but the joints have seized :-(

I have changed and upgraded all shocks and springs, anti roll bar, fitted poly bushes, engine and brake upgrades. Don't be tempted to lower the car too much, mine was lowerd when I bought it and the suspension was bottoming out all the time so wasn't working. I raised it again and fitted koni adjustable shocks, together with a thicker rear anti roll bar transformed it. A good starting point is to fit a 'steering rack clamp and brace' this cures a design fault that allows movement in the steering rack fixing. It will sharpen the steering considerably. The engines are very strong and can be tuned reliably to levels beyond what you would want. Mine is currently at about 280 bhp. Initial power gains can be had quite cheaply. I am happy to chat about specifics.

I have changed and upgraded all shocks and springs, anti roll bar, fitted poly bushes, engine and brake upgrades. Don't be tempted to lower the car too much, mine was lowerd when I bought it and the suspension was bottoming out all the time so wasn't working. I raised it again and fitted koni adjustable shocks, together with a thicker rear anti roll bar transformed it. A good starting point is to fit a 'steering rack clamp and brace' this cures a design fault that allows movement in the steering rack fixing. It will sharpen the steering considerably. The engines are very strong and can be tuned reliably to levels beyond what you would want. Mine is currently at about 280 bhp. Initial power gains can be had quite cheaply. I am happy to chat about specifics.
Ahhh another day done :)
My first job on my list is to clean it up & get it lookin straight, previous owner lived on a farm so has been abused, treated like a tractor I think lookin at the inch or so of mud underneath! A few bits missing like parcel shelf, centre rear headrest. Looks like its had a front end knock at some point as both wings, bumper etc have been changed & poorly painted...

Anyway, you reckon a rack brace first. Well its havin the rack off tomorrow to get the seized ball joints replaced, nice fresh fluid & full tracking set up etc. Its also having the temp sensor replaced while its in as it always reads cold but overheats if left ticking over for more than 10mins as cooling fan dont kick in.

What was the cost & what did you do to get 280bhp?

Obviously the money spent on upgrades will be dead money, but thats not the reason why we do this I suppose.
The main engine upgrade was a stage 3 ecu from Maptun, 3" JT exhaust and K&N filter this gives 265 bhp. The extra power came from upgraded crossflow intercooler, wastegate, and dump valve. modified throttle body intake pipe and premium grade fuel !!! These upgrades cost me about £2000. To upgrade further will involve new fuel system and turbo and I can't afford it yet.
Try fitting a manual boost controller for £20 for an amusing power hike.

Last edited: