breather pipe!

Breathers vent crankcase gases back through the system and recirculate the vapours given off through the inlet system as part of the emissions regulations. Crankcase gases are not allowed to be vented to atmosphere, but a certain age of car are exempt, can't remember the cut off year however. One thing to take on board is that some breathers have a flame trap fitted to avoid volatile gases being allowed into the inlet system and causing an explosion!

Engine breathers are seen as a means of lowering the pressures within the crankcase and possibly allowing more horses to be made available, so some say but I have yet to see proof of this.

Ideally you should make provisions for replacing the breather pipes if fitting an aftermarket induction kit or filter, be it adding a 't' piece into the pipework somehere. If you are putting a cone in the engine bay, or on the throttle body then you are better off keeping the OE one in place, 'heat soak' plain and simple!

when i put on my induction kit, i felt the car had gained hp
then i added 3 breathers, 2 for the kit and 1 for the crankcase,
now theres a rasp of it when it hits vtec, and seems a little bit quicker, definatly more pull when it kicks in

maybe in high performance cars, they make a little differance
all the small little things do add up, but with just a breather, i doubt you'll get a lot of bhp, maybe 1 bhp if your lucky, i think their more for show than anything else plus they make the engine more noisy, in a good way

Breathers vent crankcase gases back through the system and recirculate the vapours given off through the inlet system as part of the emissions regulations. Crankcase gases are not allowed to be vented to atmosphere, but a certain age of car are exempt, can't remember the cut off year however. One thing to take on board is that some breathers have a flame trap fitted to avoid volatile gases being allowed into the inlet system and causing an explosion!

Engine breathers are seen as a means of lowering the pressures within the crankcase and possibly allowing more horses to be made available, so some say but I have yet to see proof of this.

Ideally you should make provisions for replacing the breather pipes if fitting an aftermarket induction kit or filter, be it adding a 't' piece into the pipework somehere. If you are putting a cone in the engine bay, or on the throttle body then you are better off keeping the OE one in place, 'heat soak' plain and simple!
hi stamford,
i did notice when i use a crankcase breather ( the 1 with metal foil inside to stop oil from leaking) theres a smell of fumes through the car??

is it because its a #!#!#!#! breather, or is that normal??

hi stamford,
i did notice when i use a crankcase breather ( the 1 with metal foil inside to stop oil from leaking) theres a smell of fumes through the car??

is it because its a #!#!#!#! breather, or is that normal??

Depends where this one is, if it is cam cover area then yes there will be fumes coming from this as they are being pushed up from the crankcase. Some get past the compression rings, more so if worn hence why some cars throw alot of oil back through the breather but you will get some pressure in there as the pistons coming back down create pressure in the block and it has to go somewhere. Breathers also act as a valve to release the pressure caused by the cycling of the engine. All these fumes are meant to go back through the system and get burnt as they are a mixture of acids etc.

my breather is facing me(behind the wheel) and its on the rocker cover
i have however put back on the oe air intake, and the fumes are gone, but as you say about the commpresion rings been worn, mine dosent burn oil at all, so are the crankcase breathers good or bad for my car??? in the sense of releasing pressure, is that good??

I would say good, if you get excessive pressure, where will it go? All performance engines use them as the engines are revving higher and more quickly. As I said everyone has it in their mind that only the head has compression, well so does the opposite end. The pistons are controlled in the bore to create compression when the valves are shut, so what happens when those same pistons are travelling back down? They are creating pressure within the crankcase, it is not the same as the compression stroke as that is a pressure chamber, but the air has to go somewhere when it comes back. Too much pressure down below has to have an effect on the horsepower as the down stroke is acting like an air brake, so releasing the excessive air allows the crank to turn and the pistons to travel when the explosion thrown the pistons back down and then accelerate back up again.

I would say good, if you get excessive pressure, where will it go? All performance engines use them as the engines are revving higher and more quickly. As I said everyone has it in their mind that only the head has compression, well so does the opposite end. The pistons are controlled in the bore to create compression when the valves are shut, so what happens when those same pistons are travelling back down? They are creating pressure within the crankcase, it is not the same as the compression stroke as that is a pressure chamber, but the air has to go somewhere when it comes back. Too much pressure down below has to have an effect on the horsepower as the down stroke is acting like an air brake, so releasing the excessive air allows the crank to turn and the pistons to travel when the explosion thrown the pistons back down and then accelerate back up again.
all good so mate, thanks for the lesson:D
il be servicing my car on saturday, when i do il be putting on new breathers and stuff so il send you a picture of my engiene, so you can see it, being a engineer, you'll know if i have done it right or not, i do everything to my car myself so hopefully i done it right

all good so mate, thanks for the lesson:D
il be servicing my car on saturday, when i do il be putting on new breathers and stuff so il send you a picture of my engiene, so you can see it, being a engineer, you'll know if i have done it right or not, i do everything to my car myself so hopefully i done it right

Yeah man I wanna see a pic too lol. I'm gonna take my breather filters off at the weekend to give em a good wash. K&N is getting done tonight.:D

Yeah man I wanna see a pic too lol. I'm gonna take my breather filters off at the weekend to give em a good wash. K&N is getting done tonight.:D
will do, i need to take them for waynnes article so no prob
i clean the filters too, but have you used air fiter dirt repelant??
its good stuff and when you go to wash it, its easy

We all learn something new everyday, myself included. Some things are just easier to understand when you look at it differently, it's easy to get sucked in, it pays to step back and take a look from outside.

I used to work with a guy who I named 'Captain Chaos' purely because he would go on-site and have no end of problems on a machine and then solve it, he would not have a clue what did it! He would call everyone on his mobile, get alot of opinions and then change everything. He would not follow my advise, change one thing at a time and by process of elimination you would be closer to finding the cause for effect.

Treat cars as nuts and bolts and things become clearer ;)

We all learn something new everyday, myself included. Some things are just easier to understand when you look at it differently, it's easy to get sucked in, it pays to step back and take a look from outside.

I used to work with a guy who I named 'Captain Chaos' purely because he would go on-site and have no end of problems on a machine and then solve it, he would not have a clue what did it! He would call everyone on his mobile, get alot of opinions and then change everything. He would not follow my advise, change one thing at a time and by process of elimination you would be closer to finding the cause for effect.

Treat cars as nuts and bolts and things become clearer ;)
thats a good tip, and may i add to start with the cheapest and simple things first

i just fitted 2 breathers to a sohc vtec this morning
you dont hear or feel the vtec kicking in, but i put a crankcase and a normal breathers on to my mates 1 ( i have spare breathers everywhere as i change them every service)
theres not a kick from the vtec, but you can hear it when the high lift cam opens, so with a load of other mods, they do work,

im like tesco = every little helps

Thats the paradox. You want cold air which carries more oxygen but you need a bit of warmth to allow the fuel to vapourise better (turn from liquid to gas).

Thats the paradox. You want cold air which carries more oxygen but you need a bit of warmth to allow the fuel to vapourise better (turn from liquid to gas).
ha ha, i get you now, when i service my car now, it will have more breathers than the alloys on my car, the more the merier, i hope???
what do you reckon waynne