Brake upgrade for '02 VTEC Sport

Big Fat Fatty

The Torque Meister
Car
Accord VTEC Sport
The time has come to change the discs and pads on my Accord, I have been considering some EBC greenstuff pads to go with their vented grooved and drilled discs on the front and solid grooved and drilled at the back because i have heard good things about them

would this be a good upgrade for normal road use or is it too much?

and would i need to change all of the brake fluid or will just bleeding them and topping it up be enough?

thanks

Fatty

For normal road use the standard brake setup should cope well.
If your replacing and putting new items in then standard will be fine.
Have the fluid fully flushed and fresh put in you'll notice quite a big difference in feel and stopping power.;)

I don't think you can ever have too much stopping power BFF! Let me know how the upgrade works out. ;)

Thanks guys

I was thinking about the EBC stuff as I can get them cheaper than the standard items at Honda prices, i would go for pattern products if the price was right but if i can get upgraded brakes for less i thought that would be a good idea

@T9 i totally agree, and a few cats around my area would too :lol:

another question, how would i go about getting a replacement locking wheel nut socket or removing the set that are on the car?, i was looking for it all weekend but i am pretty sure it no longer exists which is a bit of a pain in the backside if i'm honest :lol:

Thanks guys

I was thinking about the EBC stuff as I can get them cheaper than the standard items at Honda prices, i would go for pattern products if the price was right but if i can get upgraded brakes for less i thought that would be a good idea

@T9 i totally agree, and a few cats around my area would too :lol:

another question, how would i go about getting a replacement locking wheel nut socket or removing the set that are on the car?, i was looking for it all weekend but i am pretty sure it no longer exists which is a bit of a pain in the backside if i'm honest :lol:

Crikey, this won't be good! who makes it? All academic now really, but I keep mine in a big tupperware container after the last scare! daft question? Have you looked in the spare wheel well under the mat, that's where I had found mine had rolled off too after I searched high and low for it a couple of years ago now :embarrest:

If the socket was made by one of the reputables, then you can take a close up picture of it or better still a tracing of the pattern! friend of mine done this and McGard matched it pefectly. If all this fails, I gather that to remove it without damaging the wheel, is a huge task! I do wish you the very of luck with it BFF :)

Hammer a socket over the top of it.

As far as the brakes go. Have you thought about installing the Type R setup? Along with some s/s brake lines that would be plenty.

Cheers for the advice guys, although thankfully I have now found the elusive locking nut key so that at least one drama has been sorted :bigsmile:

just the brakes to go, Prince, I have thought about getting a set of Type R calipers as the hub assembly is slightly different, the Type R has 5 stud hubs as opposed to my Accord's 4 which i hadn't expected, the disc has a slightly larger diameter as well 300mm for the Type R and 280mm for the standard discs, would there be any problems running the calipers with smaller discs?

Cheers for the advice guys, although thankfully I have now found the elusive locking nut key so that at least one drama has been sorted :bigsmile:

just the brakes to go, Prince, I have thought about getting a set of Type R calipers as the hub assembly is slightly different, the Type R has 5 stud hubs as opposed to my Accord's 4 which i hadn't expected, the disc has a slightly larger diameter as well 300mm for the Type R and 280mm for the standard discs, would there be any problems running the calipers with smaller discs?

It was me I would do the conversion. Everything from (and including) the hub will be needed. If you're gonna do it then you may as well do it properly. Maybe a good excuse for new wheels if funds allow!

Not sure about the caliper tbh.

good point, time to start looking for a rear ended Type R, found a few in a Sheffield breakers yard earlier that looked quite interesting

thanks for your help mate

PS. with the Type R brakes and suspension on i could always upgrade them when time comes to swap out the engine for the H22a i have been hankering after:bigsmile:

Last edited:
EBC pads are crap. I won't go into why I and many others hate EBC pads, look into it enough and you might find out how bad they are for yourself.

EBC discs are ok, they are only discs but pad compound is arguably the most important factor of a brake setup. When you get your new brake setup, try it with cheapy motor factor pads or something first, then switch to something decent and see how much of a difference it makes....

A Type-R conversion seems the most cost effective thing to do to me. Standard discs will suffice, choose your pad wisely, use braided lines and a good fluid like ATE Super Blue.

im not going to disagree with ma cause i know alot of people dont rate them.
but i have ebc discs and redstuff pads and they have been on for 4 years now with no issues at all! and thats normal driving with the occasional blast (every night:amuse:)
but 1 thing i learned after quite a few discussions with hdi. the redstuff pads seem to work well with my car cause its not a light motor near 1.5 ton:embarrest:

and if you did go for the type r brake setup the 5 stud disks can be re-drilled to 4 stud to save a few quid;)

You are right actually it's mainly the green stuff pads that have been problematic, but then past that the red stuff take a fair bit of warming up so aren't for everybody under normal road conditions.

as MA and herb have said the green stuff aint up to much, mate ran both green and red in his astra and there was a massive difference.

ill recommend ds2500 if you can get them expensive yes but they are very good. as MA has mentioned with the redpads they do require a little heat in them but i find a couple of applications gets enough heat in them, braking end of street for example.

the type r setup might not be that hard to swap to. could just be a case of getting a set of hubs

I fitted brand new OE Ford Brembo discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads to the front of the Focus the other week and they are the absolute dogs danglies. I don't want to just force you into buying everything I buy, but if I but something it will be good, frankly.

well that's two recomendations already so i don't feel as though my arm has been twisted :toung: i'm looking at getting hold of a set as soon as now :bigsmile: