Box or remap

fluffer70

Car
Peugeot 407 SW XS
Hi, I recently bought my Peugeot 407 SW Sport XS. It has the 2.2 litre twin turbo diesel and claims 170 BHP. I have the upgrade bug and have seen a tuning box with 10 pre-installed mpas for different driving aspects:

http://tuning-diesels.com/index2n.htm

I've also been chatting to a couple of helpful tunning companies who claim that a remap is a much better option. There are pros and cons for both options but I'm wondering if there are any members who've modded this model of Peugeot and which option they went for?

Plus, if there are any 2.2 owners, have they used a K&N replacement filter?

I had the previous version of that engine in a 406. It was the 2.2HDi 16 valve model. In that incarnation it had a single turbo and 136bhp. Engine code DW12TED4.

Celtic Tuning remapped it and the results were sensational. I would completely forget about tuning boxes - they will upset the emissions control systems (both our cars use particle filters).

Look at http://www.celtictuning.co.uk

They're quoting 206bhp and 338 lbft. I found Celtic's numbers to be on the conserative side. You will get very good results.

that is one very cheap looking website.

would advise remap as well youll not need more than 1 map as the increase in torque with give you better mileage when driven normally

Thanks for your replies. I'm hearing more and more about leaving the box alone whoch is a shame as the guy seems really reasonable and truly believes his product is good. It's benefits are easy install and uninstall and not a permenant intrusion into the car's ECU. It also has 10 maps for different driving styles, plus the obvious of being cheaper.

Remaps seem to have a better following on forums and it's these that I'll probably take heed of. It's just taking the plunge with monkeying with the cars ECU and not having something that you can whip out if I liked. I've been on-line chatting to another tuner who reckons £250 will get me a few hours rolling road set up and tailored remap depending on what I wanted. They're http://cctuning.co.uk/ but they're 85 miles one way. I will defo give Celtic a ring to see what they can offer and in the meantime, find some extra money to find me the right route to making my car closer to a 200 BHP Q-Car!

Thanks again.

p.s. Synergy web site makes me laugh too, but he's into car tuning, not web design. He has a good reputation built up from MG owners and so doesn't feel the need to advertise with a flash (or even half decent) web site!

A remap is in no way to be considered as 'monkeying' with the ECU. Fitting 'boxes' really is monkeying. They interfere with the ECU's input and output signals. This is the wrong way to tune a car.

Making subtle changes to the control data by means of a remap is a far more precise science and does not, in any way, interfere with the ECU's other tasks.

The sheer number of parameters that can be adjusted during a proper remap is astounding.

Tuning boxes take a 1-size-fits-all approach.

If it's any comfort my car was remapped at 50,000 miles (in early 2006) and there were no issues whatsoever with MoT emissions testing, smoke, soot, reliability, etc. Economy actually improved. I drove it through to 131,000 miles and, sadly, it was destroyed on 24 June 2009 thanks to a very very bad bit of driving by a 3rd party which caused the RTA.

Had it not been wrecked I would have kept it indefinitely.

Please do leave the boxes alone. Even the best of breed are botch items.

just 206 hp?

That does sound very conservative, very very very very in fact,

It would be a monster if you did it mate,

if it was me though I would go for a remap and a full exhaust that removes the particulate filter and then have an lpg conversion,
(Kinda something I plan on doing to me car)

The lpg will help to burn the waste diesel in the engine and thus will reduce particulates right down as well as helping with NOx emissions,

and the power gains, wow.....I have an article on my computer about a guy with an audi a3 2.0l tdi quattro with 330 hp and 490 lbft torque, and he used lpg oh yeah he was running the standard internals as well...lol

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back