Bora Gear Knob Removal

morganash

Car
VW Bora 1.6 SE
Hi, Recently thought I'd fit a new gaiter as my old one was splitting, and thought this would be a simple 2 min job to change.. But it seems Bora gear knobs are a permanent fixture?! Even my local mechanic could not budge it. Is there anyway to remove it? Thanks.

Yes easy.
pull the gaiter up sharply from the base - if yours is ripped then itll not matter.

fold the gaiter up over the gearknob and your see a single use O clip. cut this off with a pair of pliers and remove the knob and gaiter together.

Hi, Thanks for reply - So just to recap, if I cut off the retaining O clip which holds the folded over top of gaiter - the gear knob will pull off? Is there something that releases the gear knob then under the O clip? The O clip on my car is brass colour and would need hacksawing off to remove as it's quite strong metal I think. So when I've cut it off I will have to replace it with something to hold the new gaiter, will a small jubilee clip suffice? Thanks.

yup thats it it.

nope the O clip is compressing the plastic onto the stick. there is a groove cut into the stick to stop it spinning.

as for hacksawing the O clip. not needed just sharp snips - its stainless i think but quite flimsy really.
and yeah a hose / jubilee clip will do as thats whats holding mine on