boost pressure??

tomsa3

Tuner
Car
a3 1.8T
just put my boost gauge onto my car and under load its only showin 0.2 bar boost im pretty sure ive read that its suppose to be runngn at 0.5 bar standerd can any1 clear this up for me and what would be a safe pressure to run it at

So you mean you have put a boost controller onto your car? If so, what type is it? As most boost controllers will set a high and low boost. The low boost, is what it will run most of the time, but when you gun it, it will reach the top. If it has not been set up correctly then you will not get your required amount.

I have got mine set at 1.3 bar, with a high end of 1.6 bar.

If your low bar is set at 0.2 then when you put your foot flat and hit high revs (about 5500 in your car (waynne, you know more about audi's, but I think that will be close to the red line)) your boost controller should read 0.5 bar.

manual boost controllers dont really work well with this engine

what engine code is it again ?

150s should be around 0.5 bar
180s should be 0.8 bar

post 2001 cars when mapped run around 1.1 -1.3 depending on mapper

bbj boost starts to tails off around 5200 normally with a red line of 6500. the turbos are small to stop the lag but arent really that great up high.
mines gives me around 18-20 psi upto around 4500 rpm then drops down to around 16

quick question is it a cheapo boost gauge ?
might not be reading correctly or you could infact have a boost leak, very common and some can be a right pain to find

Last edited:
Any boost leaks anywhere? You'll hear a hissing noise under throttle.

Another question where did you take the feed for the boost gauge from? Cause it has been known to get false readings if not taken from the fpr;)

bbj boost starts to tails off around 5200 normally with a red line of 6500. the turbos are small to stop the lag but arent really that great up high.

I was trying to copy mine as an example and move the figures down a bit :embarrest:

May have been a little exsessive with the figures for a 1.8 audi!! lol

ahh thanks for all ur help yeh i moved it to the fpr now its showin .4 barr which to me seems about right maybe losina bit off pressure from the old girls age soo safely runs at about 1.3 bar and maxs at 1.6?? i think ill max it at about 1.4 then just to be super safe i dont want alot of power gain because im havin it mapped soon n they can play wit it lol and i did buy a manuel controller it aint the best but it wasn a cheapy either and its the 150 agu engine code :D

The difference between 1.3 or 1.6 is massive let alone between 0.5 and 1.6 !
If it doesnt seem that way its not set up right
At that level you may be asking for trouble with a manual boost controller
You should watch for heat issues at this level especially as well especially with a manual one . And of course you need to sort the fueling - Is your pump able to cope,
And if it is "an old girl" and a bit worn why run it at silly boost

IMHO you should leave it alone and get it mapped properly with a decent controller - you can buy one cheap enough - they dont wear out .
For example a used greddy profec b (which is a very good one ) for £ 150 no problem which the guy doing the map can actually set up . If yu are paying for a map anything else is just plain daft.
I have a profec B on my car and it holds a boost rock solid up to 1.5 with no issues . They will run up to 2.0 if an engine will take it.

1.6 bar is a nono !! bbj was using that as an example on his engine rather than the VAG one
as said the manual boost controller wont really work unless you do away with the n75 valve and all the other stuff thats added to it. other wise the engine will just go into limp mode as it will detect boost outside the maps parameters. ie your looking at 0 boost and the car becomes really boring to drive
the parameters for the standard mapping is around 2psi (just over 0.1 bar)

rather than you playing about with it id leave it for the mapper to do, as said if you could get a decent boost level through the MBC without annoying the ECU then the fuelling would still be off and run lean, lots of heat and blown engine. plus after mapping there wont be much available in the turbo as the one fitted to the AGU isnt that great

:amazed::amazed::amazed: NO! Don't set it at 1.6 bar what ever you do. Mine was an example! (like pgarner said)

It will melt your pistons, snap your cams and send your cooler into a melt down.

Get a evc installed by somone who know what they are doing (if you do it yourself, then you can easyly but them on back to front). HKS will set you back between £200 and £300 sheets. Then pay for a remap. On two wheel drive VAG's there are people popping up all over the place. Dont use a ''well' come to you'' jobs. Find a garage and pay a minimum of £300 to get it mapped. For a total of £500 you will up your boost, get the car mapped to give you maximum preformance and econamy for you money and you will have a car that feels completly different.

I don't know what psi you would want to set your boost to. I don't know much about VAG. But that's the way to do it.

thanks for all ur help guys just fitted the boost gauge for now n think ima get a decat or inter cooler or both before mapping thanks loads may have saved me a fortun e !!! :D

I didnt mean for him to set it at 1 bar let alone 1.6.

again as bbj I was using my engine as an example and saying that at that boost levels a proper map with an aftermarket Ecu is almost a neccessity

Also making the point that a decent boost controller will hold that boost all day (and that a manual one wont)

Also obviously the engine has to be able to cope and a standard one almost certainly wont be able to. .