bonnet pins

boy ricers love them, but unless your traveling at serious high speed (proper racing) there just for show,

came accross these yesterday as my mate called to his cousins house to have a look at a very well tuned hrv, his cousin wasent there but we were able to pop open the hood because it has these pins

looking for trouble if you ask me because anyone can open the hood and wreck the engine

If your gonna do seriouse compotition action or you at least have a car that will do a speed where your bonnet is likely to pop up, then go for gold and definatly have them. If not and you are just adding them for show, expect to pay silly money on top of your insurance as they seem to see them as after market product that is basically telling them "I go at silly speeds so i need bonnet pins" then they will charge you the earth.

Its the same with roll cages in road legal cars. Insurance companies just see them as something thats needed due to silly driving. I know a lad who had a 1.4 clio and had bonnet pins and a roll cage. His insurance went from £600 to £1500 with the pins and cage in and had absolutly no need for them what so ever.

So bottom line peeps, dont bother unless you are using your car for serious driving or at least have a car that capable of going fast enough that you require thewse extra SAFTY features ;)

I thought the whole point of bonnet pins was to hold the bonnet down, regardless of the speed of the car.

If you see how much metal, plastic and wire goes into making the standard bonnet catch, the lever and the bits between you can probably shave some weight off by fitting bonnet pins instead.

The bonnet comes off completely on many racing cars so there's no need for the prop, catch or hinges, but there is need for the pins as gravity alone won't be enough for the bonnet, no doubt now made from a lightweight material such as carbon fibre, to stay on!

If you see them on a road car they are probably a superfluous styling accessory.

Some carbon fibre bonnets will flex and lift up at the sides when you go at speed, so the pins are an essential if you want it to stay down.

THESE are the best bonnet catches i have seen. We have fitted them to carbon and fibre glass bonnets and they work and look good without the ugly bits sticking up.

THESE are the best bonnet catches i have seen. We have fitted them to carbon and fibre glass bonnets and they work and look good without the ugly bits sticking up.

Yes, my favourites as well. With regards to fitting to carbon fibre, I would like to use the flush version. The problem, however, is how to fix to carbon. Screwing through the CF doesn't seem the best way. What about bonding them to the underside, thereby doing away with visible screws?

A properly made bonnet should be stiffer than a metal one!
The one I was thinking of had great big vents cut in it and it was also a bit floppy. Now that you mention it the whole thing was a flat sheet with no supporting ridges. I guess you get what you pay for;)

this is the style of bonnet that will be going on my GTO, it will be a full carbon bonnet though and will be painted to match the car, the same red as in the phot actually. It will have the bonnet latches fitted as these do lift at high speeds. As the version of this bonnet that i want is about £2K it won't be an immediate rush for import.:lol:
body-hood-cianci-victory-03-600.jpg