Bod, my old Smart.

I keep mentioning Bod, my old Smart. So I thought I'd put some pic's up of it, sadly I've lost the folder with the photo's, I think I left it on my old lap top. :(

So I've had to search for some on the net & here they are.

The Specs:
Newly built engine raised from 600cc to 700cc
Custom Re-map by RedDot racing.
Brabus Cam & Clutch
Larger Roadster turbo (still a wee little turbo :lol:)
Janspeed polished ally intercooler pipes
Brabus TIK pipe
K&N induction kit
Custom made Stainless Steel 'Stealth' exhaust with sports cat
Bilstein Streetline springs & dampers
RedDot Racing Brake pads & Discs
Roadster deep dish steel wheels (a second pair of rears were going to go on the front to improve the track width before the car died)
Rear panels were painted black by Mercedes body shop & windows very lightly tinted.

The car produced 112bhp (standard was 54 bhp) & the induction noise when accelerating was immense. Taking off from the line was mad but still hampered by the awful slow gear change but the sudden deep bark from the stealth exhaust & the intake noise was enough to catch people by surprise! it was a great little sleeper!
I may build another one in the future who knows. ;)

1286234727.jpg

1286234772.jpg

1286234815.jpg

1286234842.jpg

I killed the car. Damaged Tridion shell (the steel bit the runs road the whole car like a roll cage with a floor pan) meant the car was a write off. The only option would have been a reshell & that was too expensive. :(
Yes that is an ejector seat sticker on the drivers seat, but I didn't have time to pull the handle. :amuse:

Last edited:
I was on my way to work & a lane had just been retarmaced (is that spelt right?) & I think with the rain & the extra grease/oil on the road the car lost grip & spun, I went up a verge backwards & then the rear dug in & flipped the car upside down. Had there not been a hedge there to stop me I think I would have gone further.

In the same two weeks there were four other crashes on the same section. The council brought the 30mph sign before the village forward & put up a bendy road sign. Then a two weeks after that they resurfaced the road again with a coarser chipping type surface.

My mates said I should have put a claim into the council, but I have firm feelings about blame culture & the fact we're going the same way as the USA, where everyone is suing each other & I don't agree with it so I didn't bother. But sometimes I do think, maybe I should have. :(

Last edited:
I to hate if there is blame there is a claim culture!
But by the sounds of it you would have had a truthful and valid claim there especially with 4 other drivers going off in the same place. And the council taking the action they did afterwords

Cheers Waynne, I wasn't hurt just very shaken up, the Smart safety cell was well designed & took the damage incredibly well.
Yes it was loads of fun! I bought the car nearly new (150 miles on the clock) back in 2002, Smarts were still very much a novelty then & I was always approached by curious folk at petrol stations & car parks, even at traffic lights! :lol:

I took a lot of stick for it at work though! :lol:

I to hate if there is blame there is a claim culture!
But by the sounds of it you would have had a truthful and valid claim there especially with 4 other drivers going off in the same place. And the council taking the action they did afterwords

Looking back at it I think that yes, your probably right. I'll just have to put it down to experience now. :amuse:

:lol:
There is an old story from early on in the Smarts life, though I can't remember the full details but the main bit is, there was a Smart was involved in a bad accident on a motorway, where it ended down the bottom of an embankment. When a senior fire officer got to the scene & heard what had happened, saw the wreckage & found out the driver walked away he is said to have gone & bought one for his daughter soon after.

I've always felt safe in a Smart, even the seats are good as they have a solid steel shell on the back. Had I had the same accident in a Rover 100 without a rollcage I think it would have been a different story. :confused:

112bhp in a 730kg, must've been quite quick! Can't say much for the looks though lol. That's a fair amount of work, rebuilt engine and everything. You barely update the 100R thread these days.

Yep I was going for a sleeper type thing so I didn't do too much externally.

I'm saving for another car at the moment (just a run-a-round) when I've got that the 100R will be taken off the road for some loving. :amuse: