BMW to supply SAAB engines

Aikmanson

Torque Junkie
Car
1995 Saab 900 2.0T
http://newsroom.saab.com/news/news/...ineengines.5.6a0ed975128ec1d13f17ffe2487.html

Thought I would pop in and let you Saab guys know whats going on out there. Turns out BMW will supply a 1.6L Turbocharged engine for Saab starting in 2012. The new 9-2 is supposed to be featured around the chassis of a MINI as well.

I have mixed feelings about this. To be honest, I am not impressed with BMW engines of late. Reliability seems to have gone downhill. The older Saab engines (1999 and Pre) were built so well, so it is a shame to see BMW will take over in those regards... I hope this means BMW will supply some simpler/better chassis ideas for Saabs.

Anyway I imagine that Saab will still control the mapping for these engines, as they seem to pioneer mapping (T5, T7 were great accomplishments).

http://newsroom.saab.com/news/news/...ineengines.5.6a0ed975128ec1d13f17ffe2487.html

Thought I would pop in and let you Saab guys know whats going on out there. Turns out BMW will supply a 1.6L Turbocharged engine for Saab starting in 2012. The new 9-2 is supposed to be featured around the chassis of a MINI as well.

I have mixed feelings about this. To be honest, I am not impressed with BMW engines of late. Reliability seems to have gone downhill. The older Saab engines (1999 and Pre) were built so well, so it is a shame to see BMW will take over in those regards... I hope this means BMW will supply some simpler/better chassis ideas for Saabs.

Anyway I imagine that Saab will still control the mapping for these engines, as they seem to pioneer mapping (T5, T7 were great accomplishments).

Agreed! BMW engines can take a good hiding and keep on going afterwards! As Saab are now in the honeymoon period of a new era! I feel that the link to BMW will help our sales considerably, thus more money for Saab to do what it is that they do best; innovative ideas and invention! :D