BMW to faze out V8's

sounds the same as VW doing away with the v6 in their R line. the passat is the last one supposidly the R line golf for the Mk6 is going to be a 2ltr turbo rather than a 3.2 or 3.6

That's really crap. Sounds like if I hold onto the R36 and W8 long enough they'll become collectables!! ;)

aye the new golf and 'rocco R lines will have the current S3 engine. means it will be slightly lighter and more powerful. but wont have a nice rumble to it.

R8 V8 turbo now theres my next car :)

V8 engines are unique in their aural appeal. Whether better than a straight six for sheer refinement is questionable. A V12 is possibly the ultimate road engine configuration, this comprises two straight sixes side by side, driving a common crankshaft.

Given that a straight six has no primary nor secondary imbalance issues and as such can operate with no balancer shafts at all then I can see reasonable grounds to use these in place of V8 engines.

A V6, however, offers packaging benefits over a straight six and with today's almost universal adoption of front wheel drive there's no reason not to use them. Inline transverse 5's are likely to become more popular amongst the exec/luxury market segment.

Bmw are moving on the v8 is a juicy ol donk of metal, triple turbo straight six for the next m3 what, if that is'nt progress what is

BMW made it's name with silky inline six cylinder engines. It's the simplest geometric configuration for perfect balance and refinement and requires no balancer shafts at all.

Faze out that gorgeous V8! So what does BMW intend on fitting inside the mighty Rolls Royce then? :blink:

A straight six is a laughable alternative for the flagship imo, maybe I'm just being old fashioned ;)

Turbos are the way forward. A lot of companies are dropping their larger engines.

Alfa Romeo, Ford are dropping their 2.5 RS engine. So if you want a powerful NASP car the options are running out thanks to EU emissions regs.

Turbos are the way forward.

hear hear.

a v8 with a bank of turbos

02PHRS1_024Moran23_z.jpg

:D

I only drove a BMW with a V8, and it was a 2001 540i sport / 6. It was a great motivation. It is sad to see them go, but it will be interesting to see how long can BMW go with V6. Hopefully they can do something great for this.

I only drove a BMW with a V8, and it was a 2001 540i sport / 6. It was a great motivation. It is sad to see them go, but it will be interesting to see how long can BMW go with V6. Hopefully they can do something great for this.

i trust BMW so i believe they will get an equally powerful engine as the V8s or even more powerfull than that..... Lets just keep our fingers crossed

i trust BMW so i believe they will get an equally powerful engine as the V8s or even more powerfull than that..... Lets just keep our fingers crossed

I have no doubt whatsoever that BMW will make the engine very powerful, it's just the loss of the term 'V8' from the BMW stable :sad2:

It's sad to see an iconic engine be discontinued. But I have a lot of faith in BMW. I'm sure whatever they do next will be mighty, and probably be more fuel efficient and kinder to the environment to keep the tree huggers quiet.

Don't know if I feel the same about VW doing away with their V6 range though. A mate of mine had a V6 4Motion 3 Door Golf while back. Man that was fun car. Don't think there's necessarily grounds to really do away with the V6 just yet.

I love the V8, and i think it has been one of the best engines that the company has ever produced. I am doubting if they could top this legend hmm

It's all about emissions. Bmw's current straight six 3.0 petrol has 270 bhp but is only a band I tax and has a combined mpg of 37. Amazing for a big saloon with a 0-60 of 6.5

It's all about emissions. Bmw's current straight six 3.0 petrol has 270 bhp but is only a band I tax and has a combined mpg of 37. Amazing for a big saloon with a 0-60 of 6.5

My diesel has a combined of 42 mpg. That's next to nothing in terms of petrol to diesel.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back