BMW E46 318i sports coupe modification

chicos41

Car
BMW 318i coupe
Hello,

I am new to this forum is there anybody can help me how to start to modified my BMW 318i coupe it seems a bit slow and I'd like to make more responsive and give some power boosting can you give me an advise what to do first, Thanks

Chicos41

Hi and welcome!

Is it an early E46 or a later model? What sort of power target do you have in mind?
Hi actually my car is 2004 model and I don't have any idea how much it could go I think mine is only 4 cylinder. Do you have any idea how far the power would be thanks

Well, remap will cost you 300+ pounds and you will get something in the region of extra 20BHPs. Air Induction kit or something similar would probably help as well and I'm sure some one in here will be more precise.
The new sport exhaust system would be a good idea as well and Prince may be here more helpful, but it all obviously depends from how far you want to go with modifying your car and your budget of course

Or just strip out all the interior and leave just the driver seat, gear lever and clocks and see how much that helps ;)
Just joking of course :):):)

I'm sure you will get your answers very quickly.

Hi actually my car is 2004 model and I don't have any idea how much it could go I think mine is only 4 cylinder. Do you have any idea how far the power would be thanks

A 4 pot can see up to around 160bhp assuming it's healthy. Iirc you have around 140bhp.

Get it breathing better with an exhaust system, performance air filter, sports cat and a remap. Keep on top of servicing as use the best quality equipment you can buy.

If you're really feeling brave then the 'little' 4 pots respond quite well to either a turbo or a supercharger.

I've got a 4 pot E36 and I'm supercharging mine (hoping to hit 230bhp to begin with). Just shows it doesn't have to be a 6 pot!

Thanks in this case what would be the first thing to be done and where I can get those parts, Guys have you got any idea how much it will cost if I could do the whole package and also I don't know anyone who know how to do this,any recommendation. please give me an advise and I do appreciate that...... Many thanks

Price all depends on where you buy tbh and if you don't mind second hand parts. eBay is a good place to pick up bargains (I got a Scorpion cat-back exhaust for £100 (they're around £350 new)). You'd be better to set a budget.

I would start with the exhaust, then add the filter. Keep doing bits until you're happy. A big bore throttle body will help as well. Once all that is done and you decide you don't want much more, get the remap.

Other areas you'll need to consider are suspension and brakes. Any plans for these areas?