BMW E39 Becker head unit faulty/damaged

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
Help. I have damaged the OEM HU in my car. Ran a can of Einszett A/C cleaner through it via the dashboard vents and stuipdly started the engine before waiting a good 1/2 hour, which is what I've always done in the past.

The fans all came up full and have chucked the water based foam through the HU. I now have a very severely distorted LH channel. Have tried hair dryer and two days on sunny window sill but to no avail.

It's a Becker C53 unit and I would like some advice as to who I might contact for a repair.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Kind thanks to you, sir. I shall contact them tomorrow. It's my own fault, I've used the Einszett stuff for years for this purpose and did the BMW last year. every time I followed the 'rules'.

THis time, I was silly and started up early, thus doing some damage to the audio setup. It's not a stunning system to listen to, but it integrates well with the car hence my desire to not fit an aftermarket system and leave a great big blank plate in the centre console.

Hope you and yours are all well.

RGds,

P.

Yes, you're right, I mis-interpreted. I am looking at Ebay now for a suitable one. It's dead easy to do, about 5 minutes to swap out. This is probably my best option.

Otherwise I might get a double DIN adapter cradle and fit an Alpine touch screen device - go the whole hog and have everything, even though I'd rarely use it.

I want to keep the changer working and steering wheel controls functioning though.

I like my CDs very much over compressed MP3 when it comes to listening detail.

I think Prince was meaning replacing with the same but from another car.

This.

Yes, you're right, I mis-interpreted. I am looking at Ebay now for a suitable one. It's dead easy to do, about 5 minutes to swap out. This is probably my best option.

Otherwise I might get a double DIN adapter cradle and fit an Alpine touch screen device - go the whole hog and have everything, even though I'd rarely use it.

I want to keep the changer working and steering wheel controls functioning though.

I like my CDs very much over compressed MP3 when it comes to listening detail.

Swapping head units is dead easy. From what I know about you, I'd get a standard replacement. Job done.

I could put up a wanted advert on one of the BMW forums I use if you want?

It's with Marston audio at the moment, no fix no fee arrangement. If this does not work out then I'll follow your suggestion. There are quite a few units available 2nd hand on ebay so all is not lost yet.

If I do make a move to a 3rd party HU I'll have to buy a double din adapter cradle and all sorts of adapters so that I can keep the steering wheel controls and CD changer all working.

Did you get it sorted in the end P?

Turns out there is some speaker damage. Makes sense because when the HU went bonkers there was a lot of spitting and crackling on the LH side speakers. Clearly the wetness sent 12 volts where it shouldn't have been sent.

I'd have been better to whip the HU out ASAP and let it dry 'orgranicaly'.

Need to replace the drive units in the LHS of the car.

Perhaps it's a good opportunity to get some better drivers installed - BMW's factory fit speakers aren't very special at all.

I've found that Infinity have the best clarity,

I listen to a lot of rock and heavy metal and over all thats going on you can here each instrument through them and will be my choice when it's time to upgrade, I currently have sony's in the 306 which are ok but....just ok....

Don't quote me on it but I think caraudiocentre.co.uk has an adapter guide. I can't check at the moment cause I'm on my phone. It's either that site or bassjunkies.

Bicester Auto Electrics ordered up a pair of BMW factory fit replacement drivers to replace the damaged ones. Fitted one to replace the LH passenger door damaged unit (the tweeters were all fine) but we found a pair of Alpine two way coaxials to go in the rear shelf. These are now fitted and the audio performance is significantly better than the factory arrangement.

I really would like some cleaner low end response from the system but I cannot find a way of fitting a single sub without either encroaching on boot space or cutting metal.

Any ideas?

I'm after deep extended (rather than loud) bass such as I get from my very pricey (and very old) home hi-fi.

Maybe I just have to tolerate things as they stand or accept that I'm going to lose some boot space.

Is there any pre-cut holes in the rear metal self under the material that covers it? sometimes there are spaces for the upgrade audio system that are left unused....

If you don't mind paying a decent audio shop then ask them for a custom boot sub. They will be able to get a sort of stealth instal in there. Sure you'll loose a little boot space but it'll not be loads. You can get slim line subs an alsorts these days. You need to speak with a quality audio shop that will custom fabricate it for you.

:lol::lol: I have a feeling that HDi's little ones would be the best behaved kiddies on the planet, whatever the situation :lol:

Err No. They get a load of space in which to express themselves. But if they go too far I do try to keep 'em from straying too far towards the crash barriers. Straight and narrow is not an option in today's world..

They're good and worthy kids but all the same they need some steering at times.