BMW carbon fibre bonnets

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
This BMW has a top quality carbon fibre bonnet. Notice the clear carbon fibre weave which does not fade or swerve. There is a deep gel coat as well helping to preserve the sheen and finish. Carbon fibre comes in a number of different grades. You certainly get what you pay for and this BMW [...]
More...

What do you think of this then? Is this your thing?

This BMW has a top quality carbon fibre bonnet. Notice the clear carbon fibre weave which does not fade or swerve. There is a deep gel coat as well helping to preserve the sheen and finish. Carbon fibre comes in a number of different grades. You certainly get what you pay for and this BMW [...]
More...

What do you think of this then? Is this your thing?

I like CF because of its lightness and strength, but the CF on my car will be painted so that no one knows it is there :)

I've seen painted CF and you can make out the weave. It's worth sanding it back to a smooth finish first. Shouldn't be a problem with good quality carbon fibre though.

I've seen painted CF and you can make out the weave. It's worth sanding it back to a smooth finish first. Shouldn't be a problem with good quality carbon fibre though.

Often, CF is deliberately painted so that the weave just shows through. My CF will be very smooth so no sanding will be necessary (decent gelcoat).

The plan is for the car to be VERY light, but not look like it is. For example the interior will be minimal but look fully furnished.