BMW 330d

frosty984

Wrench Pro
Car
Yaris 1.0 VVT-i
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to sell my Mercedes C220 diesel and buy a BMW 330d E46.
So what could you tell me about this engine (204 hp 6 speed is out of my budget so I'm looking at a 184 hp)?

1st thing ask about swirl flaps. Make sure there done as in blanked off. If so good start. Full service is a big advantage. If ur going for an automatic start it up and see if u feel any wobble when starting. If so, walk away. (mine developed this on the day the engine died. Have a look in the 3 series forum)
If you find one which your happy with, worth getting a hpi check.
After this enjoy yourself and get a remap.

Couldn't comment on the swirl flaps mate. I did think they where on all diesel models with common rail engines.
Good car though mate. I get 43mpg average. On a run at 70mph, get around 50 mpg.

I can't wait to buy it :grin: and get a remap and that pounding 500 nm of torque :grin: I will run a full diagnostics test on computer and look for any problems with the engine before I buy it.

I attached the picture

Attachments

• bmw-serija-3-330d-redizajn-ekstra-stanje-slika-16947981.jpg
    bmw-serija-3-330d-redizajn-ekstra-stanje-slika-16947981.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 12
Can it harm the gearbox? Should I do a custom remap for lower torque?
I believe you ask that because of the registration plates...this particular ones are custom made, but originally for my country (Croatia) is i.e ZG-545-GH.

I know about the 6 speed but about the 5 speed...My problem is that i can't find a 330d with 6 speed gearbox in my country that is with my budget, i have something around 7500, 8000 euros, and 330d with 6 speed is about 10k :mad:

Paul, frosty is on about getting a 5 speed manual. The 6 speed didn't come in until the e92 iirc.
The one imo is to get a 5 speed auto with the steptronic, don't have to worry bout torque figures in regards to the box.

Have a test drive of one, I was pleasantly surprised. And with the steptronic its okay.

I've had 2 manual beamers and they always done this :) to me lol.

Let us know how it goes, oh and welcome to torque cars.

This why I suggested a test drive.

I know!!!

Too many people avoid automatic transmission. Once we get to five or more gears with electronic management and torque converter lock-up modes etc. the old slushy feel disappears almost totally. In my opinion they work superbly with monster torque diesel engines and totally mask that slight lethargy below 1200-1300rpm.

Autos have moved on these days....but the manual in these is best due to the fact they are much more robust....

Rule of thumb with BMW is that the Manuals are better than the Autos with Mercedes its the other way around...

Autos have moved on these days....but the manual in these is best due to the fact they are much more robust....

Rule of thumb with BMW is that the Manuals are better than the Autos with Mercedes its the other way around...

Fair point given BMW's driving machine stance. The autos are pretty durable in my experience though - the ZF steptronic boxes allegedy better than the GM sourced 'normal' autos

Fair point given BMW's driving machine stance. The autos are pretty durable in my experience though - the ZF steptronic boxes allegedy better than the GM sourced 'normal' autos

I suppose it depends...

GM makes stuff that produce well over 400lbft of torque so you think they would make a more durable gearbox

Well I found a 330d with 5 speed gearbox, 93000 miles, most of them on a highway, I'm looking forward to check it out ASAP...and also a 320d 150 hp, with 80000 miles. Also taxes in my country from 2013 for luxury stuff, like cars is dropping so I might wait.

BMW 3 series cars are the most luxurious and prettiest looking sedan car. The latest version of BMW 3 series convertible car is 330d which is available in market. The BMW 3 series price approx 7.25 lac. With this price range the car gives extreme comfort and luxurious feel. The car delivers mileage of 10.3 to 13.2 kmpl.

my experiance with GM automatic trans. has been excellant,

some of the GM autos, are used with 600-700hp big V8 engines, torque #s around 700-1000lbs.ft.,(the Ford Mustang refered to in a diesel post here!).

and if you have ever driven a real hi-power vehicle , with and without launch control and auto shift, you would know the advantages!

think about it! try driving a 4500+ lb. car without; power steering, power brakes with out ABS, effective ride control, ETC. dont sound like fun to me.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back