BMW 316i e90 '06 adding power

Cp0uX

Car
BMW 316i e90 06
Hello, kinda new here and was wondering how to add some easy extra hp to a small 1.6 l n45 engine in an e90. I have no turbo and I probably plan to add a supercharger. I just want some tips about this car, like how to add power. I would appreciate all feedback :D

Hello and welcome |B

I have seen M3 6 cylinder conversions to replace the underpowered 4 cylinder motor and IMO that's what I would do if it is legal in Norway for road cars.

I would also recommend that you also upgrade the brakes using the discs and calipers from the more powerful model to cope with the higher performance OR fit a BBK (big brake kit) from an aftermarket supplier that is made for your model.

Don't forget to get your accident insurers approval BEFORE you make ANY change from stock on a registered vehicle.

Hello and welcome |B

I have seen M3 6 cylinder conversions to replace the underpowered 4 cylinder motor and IMO that's what I would do if it is legal in Norway for road cars.

I would also recommend that you also upgrade the brakes using the discs and calipers from the more powerful model to cope with the higher performance OR fit a BBK (big brake kit) from an aftermarket supplier that is made for your model.

Don't forget to get your accident insurers approval BEFORE you make ANY change from stock on a registered vehicle.
Thank you for your reply. I have looked it up and do you know if it is possible for an s50, s54, or an engine from a 335i e90? Is the engine bay big enough and have the correct mountings?

I have seen a BMW with this engine swap but do not know the owner .

I would leave the original badges on and fly under the radar so no one knew how much power was under the hood.

Last edited:
Is every BMW 3 series e90's the same but with different engine sizes and small adjustments?
Yes they are, BMW used a modular design, so even the Estate/Touring have the same engine bay and for the most part chassis.

Swaps are popular and a good upgrade path. Gearbox may also need improving, as the gear ratios and amount of power the boxes can handle did very. You'll need an ECU from the donor car and this might mean swapping out some of the cars other sensors for the immobiliser etc...

On some engines you can swap out the bottom end and head, as the blocks were the same, giving you an easy power upgrade so it's worth seeing which engine blocks are shared with yours.