BMW 218d Turbo Upgrade help

JayNo

Car
BMW 218d M sport
Hello everybody,

I’m just after some help on deciding what turbo to use for my BMW 218d Coupe M sport. The car serves its purpose but it has become boring to drive now!

I’m just after something a bit more powerful than the original, nothing too crazy! I’ve looked at the Garret GTX2867R Gen II, as it’s quite affordable, displacement is 1.4L - 2.5L and it’s horsepower capacity is 275-550HP.

I’m not overly educated on turbos but I’ve been trying to research, so please tell me if I’m way off the mark or if I’m good! Any recommendations and help will be greatly appreciated.

I understand it’s not just a case of whacking a turbo on and everything is fine. I’m aware of the potential upgrading of the fuel delivery system, exhaust system, remap, etc etc.

Thank you very much! |B

Sounds like you've done your homework. I think you'll find a large turbo like the GTX2876 a bit laggy as you'll only be able to run it at low boost unless you reduce the compression ratio of the engine. You really only need a small turbo to pep up the power of your 218 as you won't be able to safely or easily increase power over a 50% increase mark.

Superchargers are a lot easier to install and setup, have you looked at these?

Ah right, I looked into that turbo because it was one of the lower power Garret turbos I could find. Everything else was crazy HP! Thanks for the info, do you have any recommendations for a potential turbo then? There was also the ’Turbonetics Hurricane 6665-T4 Lety Turbo’ which I stumbled across but wasn’t overly sure on it.

I haven’t looked into superchargers, I wouldn’t know where to start with them! I understand that they run off your crankshaft but I thought that you’d have to find one specific for that car/engine and didn’t believe there will be one for a 218d. I’m hoping you can enlighten me?

Ah right, I looked into that turbo because it was one of the lower power Garret turbos I could find. Everything else was crazy HP! Thanks for the info, do you have any recommendations for a potential turbo then? There was also the ’Turbonetics Hurricane 6665-T4 Lety Turbo’ which I stumbled across but wasn’t overly sure on it.

I haven’t looked into superchargers, I wouldn’t know where to start with them! I understand that they run off your crankshaft but I thought that you’d have to find one specific for that car/engine and didn’t believe there will be one for a 218d. I’m hoping you can enlighten me?

The most common approach is to use the belt that drives the air con compressor and replace the air con unit with a supercharger but with an additional pulley wheel you can drive a supercharger, a lot will depend on engine bay space. Rotrex make quite a few kits and there may well be a kit out there from someone designed for your car with all the right parts etc...

The superchargers give a linear power gain and are much easier to map and setup, you don't have to worry too much about lag, overboost, lag or wastegate control, and most will not need an additional oil feed.

I’m going to have to do some more research, either that or I’ll just give it to a tuning company and let them do the hard work! Takes away the enjoyment though.

I like the idea of doing things myself but if it’s way out of my depth then I may just have to!

Adding forced induction is a big undertaking and not something i'd recommend as a first tuning project. I've seen too many projects given up on or that blow up to have rose tinted spectacles about it.

The car is already turbo charged but it’s only a teeny weeny one. I might look into the bigger models of the same car to see if there is a bigger OEM.

The 218d, 220d and 225d all have the same 2L engine but the 225d is pushing out nearly 250 bhp. I’m going to look into the turbos on that car to see if it fits my one!

Would of been easier to buy a sportier car, I know... but my wife wanted that one haha. Happy wife happy life and all that.