BMW 116d chip tuning or remap

frosty984

Wrench Pro
Car
Yaris 1.0 VVT-i
Hello,
I was thinking about chip tuning my BMW it is a 2.0 turbo diesel with 115 hp. Any info about this engine? And one more question why BMW (and others) make a 2.0 engine with 115, 140 and 170 hp or Mercedes a 2.2 with 136, 170 and 205? (these number are NOT accurate) And that 2.2 turbodiesel from mercedes with 205 hp has 500 Nm and that must be breathtaking for a 2.2 diesel :D

They make different power outputs for various reasons.....insurance is one,
also the lower powered cars tend to be more forgiving if a service is missed and the lower powered ones are sold in countries with poor fuel quality...

if all things are equal (mechanically) and your car is only electrically restricted then a remap should produce the same gains as on the higher powered models.....

So, does chip tuning actually makes any perfomance change and does it harms the engine?

Chip tuning is old old old school. In the very dark days they dismatled the ECu and soldered in a different EPROM.

You can buy plug in tuning boxes even now. Avoid is my suggestion. Your car is Euro V compliant and they WILL wreck the particle filter over a few thousand miles.

OBD remap is the way to go.

Good luck and enjoy :)