BlueCruiser's '97 Bluebird project.

Hey, this is what im planning to do to my factory standard 1997 Nissan Bluebird.
i bought this after i crashed my mazda mx3 which was the beginning of a project. so i decided to modify this instead as around here there isnt any properly modified Bluebirds in New Zealand. (mostly boyracers just putting fat exhausts and lowering springs.)

ok so its had abit of rust form under the wing mirrors in the past and the previous owners have removed it properly, but then resprayed the area in a different colour green. (dark green is factory colour, light green is aftermarket rust coverer)

i had a racing exhaust on my mazda which i took off when i crashed and have put onto the car already.

my plans for the future are as follows.

-i plan to completly sand the body and remove all the rust &few tiny spots coming through) then debadge and fill the holes from the badges, then prep and paint all on my own.

colour of choice: baby blue.

normally you would fit a bodykit before you spray but i dont intend to fit a body kit because it will just look silly.

-i will paint the interior plastic trim either white or baby blue... haven't quite decided yet (was hoping you guys could give suggestions as to which would look best)

-also fit some bucket seats and recover some of the fabric on the doors and floor (which are abit worn) perhaps rear seats aswell?

-some white 17 inch, lightweight racing rims.
will also be lowered on superlow king springs and ajustable suspension.

-only engine modifications will be a cold air intake with pod filter on the end. will colour most of the engine bits and pieces so it looks flash.

-keep the engine serviced and running smoove.

-tinted tail lights! and side indicators.

-tinted windows (except windscreen which isnt allowed to be tinted)

-momo steering wheel and aftermarket foot pedals.

NOTE: this car is not being built for racing purposes. its mainly going to be for my enjoyment (modifying myself and driving).

i've probably left out some minor things but will ad them in as the project progresses and i get to them.

i will post some pictures of how it is now (standard apart from the exhaust) after i get back from xmas holiday.

please comment with any suggestions or ideas. and dont hesitate to tell me what you think.
:cheesy: im really looking forward to this as its my first real project (never really started on the mazda)

thanks and enjoy :bigsmile:

DSCF0189.jpg

this is the pieces straight out of the car.

DSCF0190.jpg

DSCF0191.jpg

DSCF0192.jpg

car with the plastic trims taken out.

DSCF0193.jpg

sanded and primed, ready to be painted.

DSCF0199.jpg

DSCF0197.jpg

DSCF0196.jpg

DSCF0195.jpg

the finished result

all this took 32 hours all up. from taking the trim out, sanding it, priming it, 4 coats of baby blue and clear lacquer top coat.
i am extremely impressed at how this turned out and it just goes to show that taking your time and doing it properly is worth it.
i followed the torquecars guide on plastic trim painting.

i am only 18 and accomplishing this has given me confidence for the future of this project. hope you guys enjoy the pics :D :D :D

Looks good mate.
But I'm curious why did it take 32hrs???

x2

I know that craftsman always take just that little bit longer to do a job, but 32 hrs :blink::)

At the end of the day you have achieved a great finish on those panels ;)

yeah 32 hours was leaving 3 hours for each coat to dry as i've found this leaves a finer finish.
ok pics of the rest of the car up tomorro when the suns out.
I was curious cause you can recoat paint here in the UK after 20 minutes.
But if you get a better finish waiting 3hrs between coats the 32hrs is understandable;):)

it says to leave the final coat to dry for 3 hours as this allows it to completly dry and set ready for the clear coat. so i decided to do all coats like that.
it sounds a long time 32 hours but most of this time was inbetween coats which was speant doing other stuff.