bloody cold

aworsley4

Tuner
Car
VW Polo 1.0L
hi all. I have a vw polo 6n 1.0l. Im havin major problems with my coolant system. The engine warms as normal. However upon reaching normal temp it overheats rapidly but only when stationary. Once i get movin again it cools back to 90. I can only presume its the fan as it never kicks in. I have a new stat, stat housing, coolant temp sensor and radiator fan switch. Also my heaters are cold. Regardless on the length of journey. Any help much appreciated

thanks il give it another try but spent several hours over last few days checkin for airlocks. Ive kinda ruled that out plus i dont fancy spendin more money on coolant. Gone through 40 quids worth in last week :s

Is it the right thermosat? (do they still make summer/winter ones?) Sounds like it not opening when the waters up to temp.

Take the stat out & test it in pan of water & make sure it's opening at the correct temp.

Last edited:
ive had to rule out the stat cos ive had 3 new ones in from different sources and different makes. Made no difference.

Thanks but the stat and housing is brand new and from VW. didnt want to risk gettin cheapie ones. Its odd, got my fan working now but still overheats when stationary and no warm air through vents but all pipes hot once engine at normal running temp.

yeah thats what im thinkin as a possibility (allbeit one im dreading). However an air lock can cause both of these symptoms but i must have bled the system 5 times now with no success.

I would suspect the water pump as well, everything else seems to be working ok. When was it last changed? VW tend to use el cheapo plastic pumps, if you can get a metal replacement then this will be well worth the investment.

just took the top pipe off the expansion tank when all the pipes were hot with the engine at temp an not even a dribble came out so my water pump must be well and truly deceased. Got it booked in next week for new pump an belt. Fingers crossed itl be sorted. Keep you posted.

Just got it back from the garage, new water pump and timing belt=warm heaters. Not for long though, half an hour of driving and i saw steam. Looked under the hood and the blank in the coolant temperature switch housing was missing??? phoned the garage and he hadnt gone anywhere near it which i believe as he had no reason to do so. So my car is spitting out parts it doesnt like now?