BKY with EGR and without EGR compatibility

tafungwa

Car
VW polo 1.4 L 2005
VW polo has an engine BKY with an Exhaust Gas Re-circulation (EGR) and the other has no Exhaust Gas Re-circulation (EGR). Are the two engines interchangeable without any problems, or there is need for re-coding of the ECM to match the change or new matching ECM is required.

As far as I know it depends which way you go, the non EGR ecu will work fine on an engine with EGR and just ignore it, but you'll need to code out the EGR from the ECU if you are going to an engine without it.

I completed the switch from an engine with EGR to the one without EGR. the engine is starting fine but is not stable when engine is hot, so I will code out the EGR since the ECU was used on engine which had an EGR

Will update. the car is starting without any hesitation, drives and accelerates fine and not stalling at all. To me only a perfectionist will be concerned with minor vibration. For VW polo, BKY without EGR is interchangeable with BKY with EGR employing same ECU. But I will code out EGR when coding units i have ordered have arrived.