Bit of help...

Olley

Track Warrior
Car
E30 touring 325i
ok, so i've still not heard back from this job, after a full week... call me impatient, well i am....

but, i've been thinking. if i do get this job, and i've got the money coming in, i want to look at starting a project.

but i have no idea where to start...
basically i need a few things from a car....
1: need to be able to tow with it
2: would like it to be 2 or 4 wheel drive.
3: it wouldn't be a daily driver as i'd have a company car, but i would use it for holidays (either towing the caravan or staying with relatives)
4: needs to be entertaining to drive but still suitable for long journeys...

i think my best hope would be to buy four cars! haha

if anyone can point me in the right direction, even just make suggestions for me to look into, it would be appreciated!

I think the most important thing is what your budget is?

that is a very good point!!!!
well initially it will probably be a couple of grand, three at a push, but it wont need to be an exquisite example as i will have time to work on it as i'll have the company car (if all goes to plan!)

Of course if it's a long term project then as long as the car is driveable day to day in between work then your budget can be spread across weeks or even months.

Addenda: What I mean is that you can apportion money as you go. So the initial spend isn't the end of the project.

Be careful with the company car thing. BIK tax can be punishing. I used to opt out and take salary in lieu.

Last edited:
landrover discovery
good for towing
4wd
use mine as a daily at the min
and is entertaining as you can drive where you like and can cope with long trips i did france last year in my old disco and most of that was held together by duc tape

Matt, i've always prefered the old series landrovers, but i don't think they're suitable for long journey's... and i was looking at a classic range rover a while ago...

HDi, i've never had a company car before in my life, so i've no idea what the taxation is like on them... i should probably do some research!

and i get what you're saying about spreading the costs! i tend to do that with the cars i've had anyway on the basis that every i get some money i need to spend it on them to keep them running!!

i think i will keep my ear to the ground, and wait and see what happens with this job before i decide to go and buy something on a whim...

what does anyone think of the late 90's subaru legacy?

Ok, I give up, what are the other options? :) (I am classing AWD as 4WD).

That rules out the Robin, Bond Bug and Messerschmit then............:amuse:

Discoverys are good allrounders but budget will dictate example on offer. Why hot try an Audi Quattro Avant or something like that? Mileage will be high on them at that price range.

That rules out the Robin, Bond Bug and Messerschmit then............:amuse:

Discoverys are good allrounders but budget will dictate example on offer. Why hot try an Audi Quattro Avant or something like that? Mileage will be high on them at that price range.

think all audis are high mileage anyway
sure they are built with at least 100k on the clock lol
same as volvos they are all high mileage but both can handle it

Matt, i've always prefered the old series landrovers, but i don't think they're suitable for long journey's... and i was looking at a classic range rover a while ago...

HDi, i've never had a company car before in my life, so i've no idea what the taxation is like on them... i should probably do some research!

and i get what you're saying about spreading the costs! i tend to do that with the cars i've had anyway on the basis that every i get some money i need to spend it on them to keep them running!!

i think i will keep my ear to the ground, and wait and see what happens with this job before i decide to go and buy something on a whim...

what does anyone think of the late 90's subaru legacy?

Depends on your salary. Once you get over about £45,000 - £50,000 it starts to become an expensive option as you pay all the tax at the higher rate.

Of course you're taxed on salary in lieu as well but you can keep the cars longer than 3-4 years. You don't have to buy brand new and you get a totally free choice of car rather than being restricted by the arrangements your employer has with the lease operator or other internal policies.

It's entirely up to you but I'd look very carefully at opt out schemes if available from your employer.

HDi: they do offer a car allowance, as opposed to a company car i may look into that, but if they'll offer me a pool car for a while i'll take it, as i don't think my current car is up to it...

and i meant RWD or 4WD... DOH!!

i was looking at a silvia for a while, but at the time i wasn't earning enough.

too many to choose from!!!! :(

i do like the audi RS6, but too pricey, but i wouldn't mind an A6 estate...

need to get my thinking cap on!

anyone else want to throw a few ideas into the works?

As long as the cash in lieu option doesn't come with extra conditions thus restricting you from choice of cars then it's possibly still a good route to follow.

Ask the question. Many smaller employers will welcome the opportunity to reduce their fleet management overheads.

well, i'm STILL waiting to find out if i've got the job... taking their time about it. but i spoke to the gentleman from the agency today, and he said it's still all positive!
hopefully tomorrow is the day!

presently looking at cars for sale. but no idea what to look for!
i like fords, but fancy an upmarket shift! so been looking at audis... :)

well, i'm STILL waiting to find out if i've got the job... taking their time about it. but i spoke to the gentleman from the agency today, and he said it's still all positive!
hopefully tomorrow is the day!

presently looking at cars for sale. but no idea what to look for!
i like fords, but fancy an upmarket shift! so been looking at audis... :)

Nothing wrong with a Mondeo at all. Many have argued that the current (late 07 onward) models are better than the equivalent A4 or 3 series as a medium term ownership proposition.

Peugeot has the 508 which can be had with the 201bhp 2.2 HDi diesel engine.

Don't automatically follow the crowd. Popular or regular doesn't necessarily mean good, better or best.

Happy user/chooser ing :)

thanks! :)
i'm not a crowd follower really...
never have been... but when it comes to cars, i just can't make up my mind...
if i had the money i truly would have 20+ cars... one for every combination of mood and occasion...

thanks! :)
i'm not a crowd follower really...
never have been... but when it comes to cars, i just can't make up my mind...
if i had the money i truly would have 20+ cars... one for every combination of mood and occasion...

So might we all. but I do struggle to understand why some people of significant financial means would choose a daily hack in which to cover 600 miles a week and then have a 'weekend' car which they use for 50 miles every other weekend

Surely get the one you want to use daily and enjoy the comfort and performance every day. Makes the daily drudge a little more pleasant.

So might we all. but I do struggle to understand why some people of significant financial means would choose a daily hack in which to cover 600 miles a week and then have a 'weekend' car which they use for 50 miles every other weekend

Surely get the one you want to use daily and enjoy the comfort and performance every day. Makes the daily drudge a little more pleasant.

The point is you have a daily driver to thrash about and you would idealy buy something that holds it's value as a weekend toy. Hence only doing 50 odd or less miles at the weekend in the toy. Then when you fancy a different toy you don't lose so much money.

There are some nice limited edition Audi's around, get a Quattro and you won't be dissapointed. My A4 220bhp Avant still puts a big grin on my face every time I go out in it.

Also look at the BMW 330d or the Alpina if you want something a little different.