Bigger turbo problems

Chris1970

Car
Audi a4 1.9tdi salo
I just spent all day removing the turbo from my a4 1.9 tdi which in it self was a mission and using this forum and other peoples knowledge found out the 2 lt 170 brake turbo bolts strieght on so changed it all in all 6 hours lol now i have realised the turbo hose dont fit as the 170 turbo inlet is massive compared to the meesly 100 turbo that was on it so now a trip to burtons ilford in the morning to get a samco turbo hose that fits lol should be a great inprovement as i have already got decat and 2 half in strieght through exhaust system and a k&n 57i induction which is a vast improvement as standard but once remapped should be good for 200 brake.

Brave man, big project. Hello and welcome BTW. You will absolutely need to get your ECU remapped once the new turbocharger is in place.

This is very good advice as the bigger turbo will be supplying a lot more air in all/different parts of the powerband and potentially running lean.

Yeh should be a vast improvement though just with the exhaust and induction it was more responsive and so much nicer to drive just looking forward to putting the correct hose on tomorrow as even without the remap the turbo should perform better then next month its coilovers and GTA body kit fitted sprayed

I would advise that you only use light throttle openings/light right foot on the pedal ;) till it has been on a dyno and remapped.

Ok I didn't intend ragging it anyway as I ain't doing it again lol and it will be going to Devil Developments brighton for remapping as soon as they can fit me in

I would do as TCJ says, very gentle until it's mapped to accommodate the new turbo. Running lean is not a problem with diesel engines, this is the way diesel engines work. They don't need perfect 14:1 air:fuel by mass. However, you do run the risk of massively overboosting at high revs.
Remap it ASAP and be cautious in the meantime.

Will do thankyou all for the advise been told as long as I stick to 70 mph about 2 half thou revs it will be fine but before the remap i have to fit a stage 3 clutch as the massive torque increase will make the standard slip or blow it to pieces

Lol true but after the grief we had today changing the bugger the only time it will be touched is if i got a hybrid but then it starts getting involved bigger injectors bigger fuel pump steel cams ect

Will do thankyou all for the advise been told as long as I stick to 70 mph about 2 half thou revs it will be fine but before the remap i have to fit a stage 3 clutch as the massive torque increase will make the standard slip or blow it to pieces
My Passat is running at around 1800rpm at 70mph.

Thankyou I will any other advice will be appreciated as I only want to do this once and don't want it to go bang, I was thinking about fitting a FM intercooler

With lots more torque one of the bigger engined gearbox's must fit and they should have better gearing

Don't know about the strength of VW 6 speeds BUT fwiw the 6 speed boxes behind worked Silvia S15 SR20DET's are being removed and 5speeds refitted.

Thanks will look into that as its got to be cheaper than getting my gearbox strengthend and the gears redone