Beware of the ICE

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It is icy road time again. Even if there is no snow about patches of ICE can be pretty treacherous so go carefully chaps and chapesses.

:lol: & Groan @ BFF!

I still think there is no better way of defrosting the screen than by using warmish water!

Really annoyed with myself.. I forgot to order Winter Tyres for the RS4 and nowhere has any in 255/35/19 left.. none of the wholesalers or major manufacturers :(

The Goodyear's its wearing go like plastic circles anything below about 2c, I am getting traction control through 1st and 2nd even with Quattro - and there is NO SNOW down here.. it's just -3c and it can't cope.. :(

will get you a number rob for a place that we use for are tyres they might have some
god knows where in kent they are as we have only used them twice
as are old company stopped delivering to kent dont know why

will get you a number rob for a place that we use for are tyres they might have some
god knows where in kent they are as we have only used them twice
as are old company stopped delivering to kent dont know why

Cheers, although I won't hold out much hope. My guys phones 10-15 places including main UK wholesalers and the major manufacturers directly with no luck. It'll take somebody with them sat on their shelf retail really I think, and its not as if most tyre places stock winter tyres, so I am screwed!!

Also remember that there are a lot of drivers out there that passed their tests since last winter so haven't experienced this kind of weather behind the wheel before.

Also bear in mind that, effectively, no drivers have had winter driving tuition and VERY few have the slightest clue on how to deal with the conditions and what to do when control is lost.

I think I will stay indoors for the duration and work on the Elan :)

Last edited:
It's easier to retain control though, isn't it? Learning how to provoke a loss of control is the best way to learn how not to provoke a loss of control.

Cars don't go out of control of their own accord. It's down to errors made by the person sitting in the seat that was, once upon a time, called the driver's seat.

It's easier to retain control though, isn't it? Learning how to provoke a loss of control is the best way to learn how not to provoke a loss of control.

Cars don't go out of control of their own accord. It's down to errors made by the person sitting in the seat that was, once upon a time, called the driver's seat.

Absolutely. I spent many a snowy evening arsing about in the paddock at Brands Hatch. We set up cones and practiced handbrake turns in and out of them. It was done purely for fun but we learnt how to control our cars so snow doesn't hold any fears for me, it's the others out there that scare me!

Ice and snow can present inexperienced and experienced drivers alike with significant problems if they don't apply some simple changes to driving technique.

I'm waiting for the big one in the road past here, it has yet to be gritted and it's been -5 degrees overnight. The surface is ever so pretty, it glistens beautifully.

AND DANGEROUSLY.

So far I've had no problems with the BMW. Despite my couple of dozen years and several hundred thousand of miles driving most of it has been in FWD cars. I've never really experimented with RWD in severe conditions.

But I think a methodical, planned and smooth approach wards off all manner of problems.

I know. We've already seen a couple of close ones.

It's fine if you go at sub 10mph though and that's still quicker and far more comfortable than walking.

Yeah, my 406 loved cold air - double bonus because the intake air was colder and the air cooling the intercooler was colder as well.

Like you say though 320lbft wasn't especially useful on sheet ice, funnily enough

The BMW is actually extremely sure footed. I've had a good look around it and the rear suspension is fully independent. It has CV joints each end of both half shafts, much like a FWD car so the drive-axle plays no part in locating the rear wheels.

So far so good.

What's it like elsewhere folks?

was out off roading around kent yesteday and it was one road had snow and ice next did not

but some fun was had managed to spin my landrover 180' in the road just missing some trees but did go into some bushes and nearly a sign post

but will say that was all down to me playing when you dont want it to slip like on steep hills it wont slip one bit when its in 4low

Screenwash: Keep this topped up and use a proper additive at the right concentration to prevent it freezing.

i find it a waste of time, after using the screenwash a couple of time the nozzles freeze over. mmm VW do heated washer jets

Windows: Clear all snow and ice from the windscreen before driving. Do not use water to de-ice windscreens. Hot water can crack the glass, and the water will only freeze again on the screen or on the ground where you are standing.

mmm start engine, lift wipers and pour on alot of water. when its clear of ice use the wipers. compared to getting ripped off for deicer which i found seemed to freeze the inside of the screen, leak everywhere in the car unless its in a can - more expensive, and strip off wax etc from the paintwork allowing the rock salt to do more damage to the paintwork - corrosion and yet more ££££.

as for freezing where you stand ?? whats that got to do with it the ground will generally be frozen anyway

I've got heated jets and they don't help much until the whole washer tank is warm. This takes quite a while though because it's mounted in the wheel arch void :)

So I still keep the stuff tanked up with Halford's Advanced concentrate.

The snow returns to Kent! We have had about 3 inches in the last hour! I wonder how much snow we'll end up with! Roads are chaotic to say the least, with all the last minute Christmas shoppers a lot of people won't be able to get home :(

Only go out if you have to seems to be the current advice, stay in and spend some time on your favourite forum!

got around 6" in total this morning, so far has backed off but theres more on the way apparently.

found this as i left the house this morning.

DumfriesandGalloway-20101218-00001.jpg

roads not in that bad a condition really, for how quickly it arrived the council did a better than normal job at keeping it clear

since early friday morning we had about 12-14 inches. but gt the car into the street and that was as far as i go. theres only 8 houses in my cul de sac and none of them drove in the snow. my car aint no plough lmao.
why do people panic buy ?
seen some one walking out with 3 loaves of bread and 12 pints of milk. it really peeves me off.

im thinking they were trying to pull up in front of the pizza place. wondered why the police were about

since early friday morning we had about 12-14 inches

see that is a decent amount, its places that have had 1 or 2 and saying that its terrible and we're not prepared for it, phoning into work to say they cant get in for the weather conditions etc that get me

when i went to work fri morning it was 1-2, came out it was 8-10.
still got the beamer hme and myself lol.
the bag of sand i had in the boot has gne, used someones advice on here and grited a bit when i was really close to walking away and then walking hme.
no ballast in the boot and to be honest, hasnt made that much difference.
still gt the trusty spade, and now arms like desperate dan lmao

only reason i said as its was so cold at the time our counil was putting down more sand than they were rock salt (60:40 mix) as the salt only works down to -7 or something.

emotion-5.gif
remember to add to the rep
emotion-5.gif