Best ways to save weight??

Mx5

Torque Junkie
Car
3.8 V6 Holden Skip
I was thinking to start with..

Light wheels
No spare wheel
Removing carpet relpacing with either like a felt or painted.
light or carbon seats
then carbon bonnet and boot

any other quick fixes that can be made to lighten the car?

leave carpets out completely dont bother with felt
lose some weight yourself ;)
leave everything out of the boot - wheel, jack etc
small lightweight wheels.
carbon fibre or fibreglass doors etc

I was thinking to start with..

Light wheels
No spare wheel
Removing carpet relpacing with either like a felt or painted.
light or carbon seats
then carbon bonnet and boot

any other quick fixes that can be made to lighten the car?

How far do you want to go with it?

Doors are your biggest problem. Weigh a ton on corsa's. I wouldn't advise removing them and replacing them with light weight doors (cost reasons). If your serious, lose the back seats. As just removing the carpets is going to make verry little difference at all, if any.

:lol::lol::lol:

it's not just about weight saving but also distribution, think about moving the battery into the car behind the front seats or swapping it for a light weight dry battery. normal ones weigh a ton

As above and SOUNDPROOFING, so heavy! Loosing unsprung weight is best though, lighter wheels, brakes, suspension components....

Unless you are looking to save every gram, you might as well leave the carpet in and have a bit of comfort.

I was thinking about doing it on an Mx5 not a Corsa as i hate mmy Corsa plus if i was to mod the corsa i would prob have the engine put in the back and make it rear wheel drive..

I would want to do this with a 1998 mk1 mx5 i was thinking of the best weight to save weight other than what has been stated and my only idea is to replace the inside of the car with Fiber Glass. attempting to construct a replica looks wise of the interia Dash and center console but out of fibre glass, aswell as moving the petrol tank to the middle of the boot hopefully giving better weight distribution

As above and SOUNDPROOFING, so heavy! Loosing unsprung weight is best though, lighter wheels, brakes, suspension components....

Unless you are looking to save every gram, you might as well leave the carpet in and have a bit of comfort.

:eek: COMFORT? You're getting soft in your old age MA!

This depends how far you want to go with it,what you want to with your car ? Track it?, Fast Road? thought the mx 5 was pretty light to start with, soft top and all that, or or thinking go-kart light?
Think you can get aluminium bonnet for the mx 5,but wont be cheap,but will shead you a few pounds.
Good luck anyway pal. Daz. :blink1:

Long story short went to Australia for a gap year brought a 1989 Mx5 loved it to peices sold it came back here struggled to get work only thing i could buy and insure was a Corsa i hate it with a passion and moving back to Australia soon to start my life :) big smiles. So as soon as i get back am buying a 1998 1.8 mk 1 Mx5 so wanting to get clued up on it,

They are on my mind constantly my girlfriend wont even talk to me about them anymore so i use TC as a way to vent and share my dreams hopes and passion about my future car :D

core that bottom one but in orange with black is it A pillars ? where the windscreen is, black wing mirrors black 5 spoke thick tyres and a massive logo or something diagonaly on sides pfft another sleepless night think of this tonight :D

Well Mx5 different strokes, but mebbe you would wanna reconsider priorities, and stimuli? ;) ;) ;)

Then of course I was gonna mention "The Nut Behind The Wheel" but Pgarner put it in a civilized way that would have eluded me. ;) ;) ;)

Anyways why not take off the window assembly on all but the driver-side? That is usually heavy, and contributes to much of the weight of the doors.

Also, you may wanna get rid of the windshield washers.

Then horns, Stop-Lamp in the rear windshield, your ICE.

Take off the back seats, leave the carpet in and drop a couple of bolster type cushions at the back, for the occasional passenger, and this would keep MA happy too, as far as comfort goes.

Take off all heater and air-conditioning if any.

There is no limit!

You have to choose your own happy medium, between performance/convenience and comfort.