Best way to sort this out??

Get them dipped, it's less hassle than trying to sand or manually strip them.

View attachment 8596

I have a set of m parallels for my e38. Problem is I purchased them with chipping black paint. I prefer the factory finish underneath.

What would be my best option to remove the top paint without damaging the factory finish?
Find a refurbisher. I recently had my Octavia wheels redone, powder coated. If you know what the original finish was, there's a good chance of having them revived, but I doubt you will successfully remove the top coat you have now, it'll be a a right pain and will probably be quite patchy. Maybe why they were repainted in the first place? There will most certainly be a wheel place somewhere near you, but it's not a cheap job, I paid £80 per wheel, including re machining the diamond cut face.. I can't upload pics yet, else I would show you mine. Well pleased.

I was figuring the same. I think I may have to go to a wheel refinished. I just wanted to avoid that if possible and go a DIY route. I only paid 400usd for the wheels lol. I will get what needs to be done done eventually. Thanks

I was figuring the same. I think I may have to go to a wheel refinished. I just wanted to avoid that if possible and go a DIY route. I only paid 400usd for the wheels lol. I will get what needs to be done done eventually. Thanks
A cheaper way then would be to match the colour you want from the under paint. Get the wheels sandblasted, then repaint them yourself. This would save a large chunk of money, but at least take the real painstaking bit out. Paint stripping, you could use Nitromorse, it will remove almost anything, but be very careful with it, and check it's use before hand for suitability on alloy. It also tends to get into the surface structure and cause repainting issues if you don't remove it thoroughly and wash it down carefully. It's incredibly toxic, but smells awesome..... It will give you a great restart with care and attention.

The dipping process mentioned, is a similar process to Nitromorse, except its done on an industrial level in tanks... If you check out surface preparation, or paint stripping etc. You should find something. The cost? Similar to sandblasting I would imagine.

I've known a lot of paint strippers to cause the wheel to corrode, and ironically this can happen weeks after it's been used on them so be careful. Most strippers assume the paint is on wood or maisonry!

You have to assume they were painted to cover over issues, so I doubt even if you got the paint cleanly off you'd have a nice rim ready to go.

If they were mine I would just prep them and spray them metallic like @Fabia12 suggested, it's probably cheaper and will look good when done.

I've known a lot of paint strippers to cause the wheel to corrode, and ironically this can happen weeks after it's been used on them so be careful. Most strippers assume the paint is on wood or maisonry!

You have to assume they were painted to cover over issues, so I doubt even if you got the paint cleanly off you'd have a nice rim ready to go.

If they were mine I would just prep them and spray them metallic like @Fabia12 suggested, it's probably cheaper and will look good when done.
ok that does sound like the best route and quite doable. sandlblasting shouldn't be too hard to get done. I can spray em after myself

ok that does sound like the best route and quite doable. sandlblasting shouldn't be too hard to get done. I can spray em after myself
Sounds like a plan.... Make sure you get a good etch primer suitable for alloy, this will give you a fantastic base to spray onto.

FWIW I had the set of used wheels that I got for my semi slicks sand blasted and powder coated as that is more durable than spray paint.