Best way to clean your engine?

bigbadjoe

Pro Tuner
Car
Evo 8 @ 400bhp
Does anyone know the best way to clean your cars engine? Mine is now starting to get dull/dusty/little dirty ect.

I have been advised to spray the engine and all the components with a bug/tar remover, leave it for a couple min and lightly wash off with a hose. (Using as little water as possible)

I have never cleaned an engine before :( so I am a little worried incase I damage it.

Run the engine so it is slightly warm but NOT HOT. Spray on some GUNK and leave for a bit, then I just hose it off avoiding electrical contacts with the direct spray (and fuse box).

A layer of Gunk can be applied after you finish to give a slight sheen and protect the engine. For hard ground in grime and grease you will need to scrub it and use a bit more GUNK.

I have used other engine cleaning products but GUNK has been the best I have found.

I've never cleaned and engine and never plan to. It's not like you drive around with the bonnet up. I'll keep it dirty and working cheers!

I think it's better to clean the engine with compressed air first, then you may wash it with help of a water jet. You can also apply a coat of lacquer to prevent rust & corrosion.

I've tried Halford engine bay cleaner which is OK but needs an old toothbrush to work the muck off with . Think I'll get some Gunk as well seems to get in the corners better for some reason.

I'm inclined to agree, despite having cleaned the Peugeot's engine once or twice, that there is no benefit to be gained from doing so unless you're hunting down a fluid leak, for example.