Best way to carry mountain bikes

billyo

Track Warrior
What is the best way to carry 2 mountain bikes. We have a journey of over 300 miles and I dont want the bikes to fall off or rub and damage the car. (Borrowing my dads Vectra TD.)

Ive seen roof racks, things that slot on to the tow bar and a rear mounted bike rack.

Do numberplates have to be visible from all angles? What about if the wheels cover the lights at all?

I'd say the roof mounted racks are the most secure but you must look out for low bridges and car park roofs and barriers.

Rear mounts are not that secure, I've been behind a car that lost a bike from a rear mounted rack. Needless to say he didn't stop but at least I managed to swerve around it.

Without going to the expense of a towing ball I'd go for the roof rack. At least the roof bars might prove useful for a roof box too. In my last car, I got the official roof bars and cycle carrier but they're all much the same - a bit of gutter for the wheels and a bar that swings up to grasp the frame from the underneath, mine had locks to stop it being released.

It takes a leap of faith to go out with bikes on top at first, especially as mine seemed to creak like fury - turned out that the clamp on the bike frame was too tight and it was the noise of the rubber grip squeaking on the bike's paintwork! I'd still worry about forgetting and driving into a multi-storey car park though or one of those with a height barrier to stop camper vans entering.

What is the best way to carry 2 mountain bikes. We have a journey of over 300 miles and I dont want the bikes to fall off or rub and damage the car. (Borrowing my dads Vectra TD.)

Ive seen roof racks, things that slot on to the tow bar and a rear mounted bike rack.

Do numberplates have to be visible from all angles? What about if the wheels cover the lights at all?

yes number plate needs to be visable.
lights proberly will be as well.

and check your license to see if your allowed to tow a trailer.