Best Track day tyres

Well alot will depend on budget and size of balls!

I have used Toyo T1Rs, nice and grippy but a bit soft.
Hankook Evo's, good tyres not had a problem.
Federal 595s are pretty good and have them.
Toyo R888s are the benchmark but are darned costly.

Nearly forgot, avoid new road tyres unless scrubbed as the tyre can quickly overheat and fall apart, been there before!

Well alot will depend on budget and size of balls!

I have used Toyo T1Rs, nice and grippy but a bit soft.
Hankook Evo's, good tyres not had a problem.
Federal 595s are pretty good and have them.
Toyo R888s are the benchmark but are darned costly.

Nearly forgot, avoid new road tyres unless scrubbed as the tyre can quickly overheat and fall apart, been there before!

Keep thinking about the R888s stamford especially as they are road legal. I am still in search of the elusive good track/road tyre for use on the Beast ;)

I've got R888's on the 100R, soft's (SG) on the rear & mediums on the front (2G) but it's on T1R's on the road. I wouldn't use R888's on the road in the wet, their no fun at all.

I've got R888's on the 100R, soft's (SG) on the rear & mediums on the front (2G) but it's on T1R's on the road. I wouldn't use R888's on the road in the wet, their no fun at all.

And there you have it Loz, what I want is a good track day tyre which is road legal and good in the wet :confused:

Money is not an issue but the right choice is! ;)

What I don't want, is me doing a Torvill and Dean impersonation the second more than two drops of water turn into ice and appear on the street in front of me :)

Hi Guys, I raced on Toyo Proxes R888 Semi slicks (road legal) and they are amazing, they have improved my lap time conciderably over high performance road tyres. They are expensive but are cheaper than Advan AO48's AO50's which are excellent grip tryes too.

Price also depends on your tyre size I run 235 40 18's and they cost me $2,200 aus

T9, I have AD08 on the RS and they are so so good on the road. You won't get a tyre that is good in the dry AND the wet. mine are excellent in the dry but won't kill you in the wet like 48's or R888's. Speaking of which they are noisy, come with now much tread and the softer ones wear incredibly fast, best left to just the track but in that case you might as well get full slicks which negates the need for the 888 and 48 etc now imho.

T9, I have AD08 on the RS and they are so so good on the road. You won't get a tyre that is good in the dry AND the wet. mine are excellent in the dry but won't kill you in the wet like 48's or R888's. Speaking of which they are noisy, come with now much tread and the softer ones wear incredibly fast, best left to just the track but in that case you might as well get full slicks which negates the need for the 888 and 48 etc now imho.

Many thanks for the heads up info MA ;)

Until I move house which I hope to do later on in the year, I have no room for a spare set of track day tyres in the flat (unless I can disguise them by putting the mattress on top of them!) hence my hope of an all round combination; well we can all dream can't we!!!

The noise that you speak off that the AD08's generate will not be an issue, the beast is noisy enough when it is just idling yet alone actually moving ;)

couldnt agree more with you mate 888.s are awesome in the dry but hoooo. clentchy bum time in the wet lol. and do cost a lot

Possibly people are missing the point about 888s

They are not a road tyre that is good on the track but a track tyre that has been made so that it is road legal

Like full slicks they are not designed to be driven in the wet they have been designed for maximum grip in the dry - the treads are there just to make them legal.

They grip like **** because of the compound which is also why they are wear out quickly and cost a lot more than most (ever bought a set of proper racing slicks ?)

When you consider that the tyres are the only thing that keeps you on the road they are cheap (IMHO) and have to be the best single handling upgrade but if you are not going to go fast enough to push them of course they are a waste of money.

I have them on the stagea and have a set of goodyear F1s as winter tyres.

I think if you're not going to get a tyre that's ok or good on the road too (our UK roads especially) then you might as well get a full slick. You can get barely used Porsche cup slicks for dirt cheap. You want something like AD08s that does both road and track well OR full slicks and a decent road tyre on seperate set of wheels. Triple 8's and 48's are a little pointless now cheap slicks are easily available and there are such good crossover tyres.

FWIW I started to overheat my front AD08's but only after 40 mins hard lapping. They're blue as feck on the shoulders but luckily I came in before they started to properly overheat. Slicks and track wheels for me next year.

slicks for track only I agree but you cant use them on the road so the 888 is still a good choice as they grip as good as any road tyre in the dry Ive tried

Plus I dont drive the stagea fast in the wet . In fact I rarely drive it all in the wet

well i shreeded a set of proxi.s yesterday on a sprint curcuit. the hotter they got the worse they got. ok for 1 lap. not my cup of tea. should of brought my track wheels with slicks but they said rain. ahh well

Triple 8's and 48's are a little pointless now cheap slicks are easily available and there are such good crossover tyres.

*Removed link as per our T&C's*

Sorry buddy but new members need 10 posts before being allowed to post up any URL's or photos, this helps us to keep the spammers at bay.

T9 man
Super Moderator.

You also need to know what you are talking about as far as the uk is concerned

Over here track day tyres usually refer to ones you drive to the track as well and that rules out all slicks

Obviously for track use only , which is different , slicks are best in the dry (so much so its not worth mentioning.)

I use road legal Federal 595RSR's 225/45/17 that have a treadwear of 140 simply due to my tight budget. They seem ok and are predictable on the limit.

I have been looking for the perfect tyre for ages and it doesn't exist :-(

Found these:

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt01

Look pretty good and the company is owned, I believe, by Toyo.

Not sold in the UK but I found an importer. Unfortunately they don't do the sizes I am looking for.