Best thing about muscle cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What would you say is the sinlge best thing about a muscle car?

Is it the size, solidity and shape of the car or perhaps it is the noise of the engine or is it just the power? Or is it impossible to take any one of these things away?

Too big, too thirsty, not very fast (in standard form) and don't handle.

BUT - they look good and sound wonderful :)

think there are pontiac gto's in the states as well or ones like it

but they are sex on rubber the vxr i would have one any day

Muscle cars are defined as 2 door, rear wheel drive, American mid sized cars built in the late 60s early 70s.

Ah okaaay! ...Then they can rest in peace.

Crude, poor build, no handling, no brakes, "try-and-stay-on-the-highway" steering, stage coach suspension, non existent damping, poor seats............and auto transmissions for the most part. If you could find a "standard," or "stick shift" it was hello axle tramp & broken rear leaf springs. No thanks. Look good in photos maybe :neutral:

Most of those old V8 engines weighed "half a ton" and masqueraded under grossly inflated hp figures (all hp figures in any reference book or otherwise, for pre-1972 engines was and still is, quoted using gross hp**)

A modern GM 4.8 Litre pushrod V8 nowadays would have no trouble embarassing any of the older 350's. Let alone the LS3 6.2 Litre pushrod V8 used in the before mentioned example HSV car which could be considered one of the world's best production V8's. It could probably out-perform any old stock 60's/70's big block and in it's LS9 guise (fitted with forged pistons and supercharger) is the most powerful American V8*** ever.

***http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine#LS9
(and this is net hp to J1349 standard)

The best of the old Chevy small blocks (Gen I) only ever made 248hp (net hp to J607 standard). The worst of them made a wheezing 145hp.

The first SBC to break 300hp was the Gen II LT1 and that only happened in '92.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LT_engine

**Gross hp

Here's a excerpt from Wiki showing very well the change from Gross to Net hp...........

...The LT-1 was the ultimate 350 cu in (5.7 L) V8, becoming available in 1970. It used solid lifters, 11:1 compression, a high-performance camshaft, and a Holley four-barrel carburetor on a special aluminum intake to produce 370 hp (276 kW) and 380 lb·ft (515 N·m). It was available on the Corvette and Camaro Z28. Power was down in 1971 to 330 hp (246 kW) and 360 lb·ft (488 N·m) with 9:1 compression, and again in 1972 (the last year of the LT-1, now rated using net, rather than gross, measurement) to 255 hp (190 kW) and 280 lb·ft (380 N·m).....

[The "LT1" designation was later reused on a Generation II GM engine, the LT1.]

A few years ago, we played around with a 350ci small block, built out of various street based parts, a flat tappet cam, the heads were mismatched, the manifold didn't really fit very well, etc etc.

Anyway, we managed a 6.92/182.99mph, shutoff at 1000ft when it stripped the blower belt. So these old small blocks cant be completely rubbish :lol:

Great harsh sound , power and styling . everthing else sucks brake steering dodgy eletric .... but that can be handle with some mod.

I like muscle cars because:

they got soul, that means they are mostly hand made nowadays, and it's a matter of tradition, like from father to son.
and i like drag races, so it's obvious i like muscle and hotrods.

They are over the top, overinflated and raw.

MOPAR is an amazing day at Santa Pod, the noise, the smell and the visceral beauty and then I get to go home without driving (or towing!) one of the big liabilities.