Best sounding engine

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the best sounding engine? I really like the Impreza Boxer flat 4, this makes a lovely noise.

A lazy V8 or super revvy V10 is also nice but for me the Boxer just nudges ahead.

I can hear noises in my head :blink:

Audi 20v 5 cylinder as in the 86 sport Quattro, last of the group B cars. Also from the same time, the MG Metro 6R4, sweet sounding engine when on full chat. Then there's the V8 in any guise.

I can hear noises in my head :blink:

Audi 20v 5 cylinder as in the 86 sport Quattro, last of the group B cars. Also from the same time, the MG Metro 6R4, sweet sounding engine when on full chat. Then there's the V8 in any guise.

As long as you're not hearing voices you should be ok!

I'm a bit bias, it's got to be Audi 5 cylinder with a performance exhaust at full chat.

Last edited by a moderator:
my answer the lancia delta s4
the whine of the supercharger the dump of the turbo the popping of the exhaust
icon6.gif

for me this cant be beaten!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmcTY2erGCk

Mine. :amuse:

I think for spine tingling, ribcage rattling violence, a Topfuel Dragster can't be beaten, even when these things are ticking over they sound awesome.
Everyone should experience these machines at least once in their lifetime.

I was behind a 59 plate Vantage yesterday on the A45. I rolled down the windows just to listen to it. Beautiful. Such a far cry from the tossers in 1.4 Saxos with stupid booming exhausts.

How about an XUD9TE? lol

for me it's got to be a TVR of some description, I'm surprised that they weren't bought up before, either the Griff/Chim or the Cerbera sound positively awesome,

and as HDi said the 2.7 hdi sounds good, my parents have a Land Rover Discovery 3 with the TDv6 in it (it's the same engine) and it's sounds great, best at idle I'd say when you rev it up it sounds rather like a fan, lol

How about an XUD9TE? lol

for me it's got to be a TVR of some description, I'm surprised that they weren't bought up before, either the Griff/Chim or the Cerbera sound positively awesome,

and as HDi said the 2.7 hdi sounds good, my parents have a Land Rover Discovery 3 with the TDv6 in it (it's the same engine) and it's sounds great, best at idle I'd say when you rev it up it sounds rather like a fan, lol

They do. But under load when both turbos are working hard it takes on a hint of an aero gas turbine engine sound.

Remapped with about 1.3 bar on over-boost it's a stunning sounding motor. Even at under 2000rpm.