Best Roads In Britain

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
Let's face it, most of our roads are riddled with pot holes, covered with speed bumps and ruined with speed cameras. But surely there are some good roads left in Britain. Let's try and find them!

I am personally going to list the A4500 in Northamptonshire as it is long and twisty which means good fun and the A43 stretching from Northampton to Silverstone as it's usually quite empty and offers the chance to get your foot down.

What does everyone else think?

the one out of it ;) (sorry! lol)

Well said.

Why this country even needs armed forces is beyond me. What is there to defend?

Come on, invade Britain, please - anyone. Just make sure that you take over the national debt as well :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:. Sadly we've got sod all else to offer.

I'd be out of the UK in a heartbeat were it financially viable to do so at this point.

Your point is absolutely brilliantly presented in five words. All the moreso given that you reside in the Republic of Ireland.

Yeah UK is so much in Shambles, if we were like America. Only Can stay here if you have £150'000 in your Bank Account to set up your own business, that way the Country it'self is bringing the money in and keeping it within the Uk, means Cheaper Taxes and Better Roads lol

Best Roads I think are down in England, in Scotland they are badly repaired so don't last long, last in England, they are spending more on Road Works then Us, they get the roads fixed more often

Lake District has some good roads. Took the Scooby up there once to stay with my father, great fun!

Snake Pass is good, I also like the coast road between Folkestone and Rye, lots of nice sweeping bends and banked corners.

I have done a few of the roads in Wales mentioned and am a big fan of the A5 North of Betws-y-Coed HDI! :D

A57 snake pass between Glossop and Sheffield is, in fact, a race track. As is the parallel road, Woodhead Pass (A628 I think). Both amazing roads. Kirkstone pass in the lake district rocks too. Bit scary in the ice though!

EDIT: Didn't see waynne's post, beat me too it!

My father lives about 3 miles outside Windermere in Ings so he's in a really good place as pretty much any lane from his place is great. But the one I really recomend is the one that goes from Windermere up to Kirkstone Pass. Fantastic road plus at the highest point the road goes to there is a pub that does great food and has some nice ales. Kirkstone Pass Inn. Then the road that starts leading downhill on the other side is brilliant.

A823, Auchterader to Yetts o. Muckhart (its on the way to Knockhill if coming from the west). Also the 'Sheriffmuir Road' doesnt even have a number but only drive it at night (ridiculous gradients, very tight bends and blind corners - great fun), can be very quick but any problems and your screwed as mobile phones dont work along it.

Well said.

Why this country even needs armed forces is beyond me. What is there to defend?

Come on, invade Britain, please - anyone. Just make sure that you take over the national debt as well :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:. Sadly we've got sod all else to offer.

I'd be out of the UK in a heartbeat were it financially viable to do so at this point.

Your point is absolutely brilliantly presented in five words. All the moreso given that you reside in the Republic of Ireland.

Hey, give your country a break, remember that you ruled most of the world at one time!

You're never more than 70 miles from the sea (IIRC) in the UK. How many miles is it from North to south then? I reckon it can be done in 24 hours. :eek:

you can be far off waynne stranrar is around 75 in one direction and newcastle is around 80 the other

depends on what you call north
picked the most northern road i could see, and the most southern. google maps show it as 833 miles in 15.5 hours however if you go to the top of the UK ie shetland its showing as 969miles in nearly 22 hours and i think thats them working it as you get to the ferry port your away. so any hold ups and you could be longer

easily. its not that wide a country.
its the north to south in a day that the problem

I have always wanted to enter the Land's end to John O' Groats reliability run for classic cars, but for various reasons could not, have been by train and bus once nice experience.