Best Road to Drive in the UK

Isamu

Tuner
Hey Everyone,

I am planning to go on a 2 week road trip around the UK visiting various cities and places. I'm between 10-25 October. I just wanted to ask what are some of the best roads you have found to drive in the UK.

From the 22-25 I will be finishing off my road trip in Wales when I will be watching the GB Rally. I can't wait to go.

Wales has some fantastic roads. I'll see if I can get the A numbers for you.

I enjoyed snake pass and there are some wicked roads around Matlock, Buxton, Ashbourne (Peak District area).

Down South I'd say the coast road from Folkestone to Rye is a lovely drive, big sweeping banked kerbs, wide with overtaking opportunities and nice scenery.;)

Ok wales, B4407, A543, A4069 (South Wales) Beware of the Welsh Police zero speeding tolerance. Go at 31mph and you will get a ticket if caught!

Snake pass is the A57 between Manchester and Sheffield, very twisty with some sheer drops to focus the mind!

Snake Pass (A57) is always a winner, as well as Woodhead (which is road that runs parallel with the Snake). So you can go down snake and back over woodhead, asolutely brilliant run. (woodhead is A628 I think, may be wrong).

Aside from that if your going into scotland there's some excellent roads around Dumfries.

A413, no spots for police to sit and a dual carriage raceway all the way from chalfont to uxbridge thats normally deserted :D

Last edited:
A413, no spots for police to sit and a dual carriage raceway all the way from chalfont to uxbridge thats normally deserted :D

I know the A413 intimitely. It's a good drive but going North towards Aylesbury, Whitchurch and Buckingham there are some bends where the camber is less than ideal.

North of Winslow it's slightly better. The LED cat's eyes can look really strange in the rear mirror whilst driving at night.

Carry on to Stowe Castle and thing improve.

Was driving along it last night and the road that runs along it had a police van sitting on it, I only noticed when I was strolling along at 75 but I dont think it was taking speeds :D

Was driving along it last night and the road that runs along it had a police van sitting on it, I only noticed when I was strolling along at 75 but I dont think it was taking speeds :D

Not the Wendover bypass by any chance? That's a favourite spot.

Speed camera vans currently don't work in the dark as it's impossible to target the IR laser.

A823: Gleneagles to Yetts o' Muckhart in Central Scotland - very quick. At night any of the other B roads in the area especially a road from Bridge of Allan up through the hills ending at Blackford - no road number, not even classified but absolutely fantastic can really feel the heat in the tyres once you've been along it. Watch out for potholes.

Hi couldn't help but tell you about roads from Cardiff up to Brecon Beacons at 5 in the morning.We travelled them last December for rally GB and it was -7 degrees.Very slippery roads.Great fun though.Looking forward to it again this year even though its in October so it won't be as cold.Off topic get to 'Sweet lamb' for the best spectator stage of your life.2+ miles visible down in the valley.On topic Scotland has some ace roads around Lough Ness and Fort William.Watch out for the Air force though as they like to do flybys on unsuspecting motorists

There are loads in Scotland, some brilliant ones around the South West and then right up North, was up there for a road trip at easter, no police and fast flowing roads, heaven. lol. Ullapool to Inverness is well worth a look, 50 miles of joy!!! If you drive along the Loch Ness to Fort William road be very careful with the speed, the police are having a big crackdown just now and there is almost always at least one car lying in wait on that road!

Glen Shee from Perth to Braemar is pretty awsome aswel:).

So many roads, so little time...

Depends what you're after from your drive. if you want challenging corners and speed the far north of scotland (ie north of inverness) is fairly camera free and the highlands have some great roads especially along the lochs on the west coast. however the scenery is pretty much the same, which is fine if you like "mountain-y but bleak".

if you want scenery and are just out for a cruise then the lake district and the welsh valleys and borders are a good bet. but avoid them in peak holiday time or you will go mad, caravans will dawdle at 20 mph for miles on end and there will be nothing you can do about it. and be careful about your speed, a friend got two tickets in one day around there.