Best place for a driving holiday

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the best place to go if you wanted a driving holiday? Do you prefer mountains, sea views or wide open landscapes on your driving breaks.

I'd love to do the Amalfi coast in Italy, and will one day.

The drive through Paris then to Dunkirk, along the coast a bit, through Belgium and Holland to Amsterdam was pretty cool. A bit of everything and there were some awesome long narrow bridges.

I'm not exactly well travelled but I've found that there's some fantastic driving to be found in the Scottish Highlands & on the the Isle of Skye. :)

My perfect drive= down through Paris, on to Monaco, into Italy, head up north into Switzerland and Lux then into Germany for a few laps around the Nurbergring. Carry on north into Amsterdam (red light district to be more precise) then through Belgium and then home. Stopping off at a few interesting places on the way and driving on a few interesting roads, including the one that featured on TopGear during the first attempt to find the best driving road. You get it all, Mountains, coasts and big open landscapes. And a racetrack.

What do you reckon???

I am currently planning something like this with a few friends from work. The basic plan is to drive from here to Calais, onto Amsterdam, then the Nurburgring, through the swiss alps (Stelvio Pass), next up is Venice or Brescia, through Milan to St Tropez, onto Barcelona, then Madrid, then the ferry home. We are planning to take around 2 1/2weeks and it'll cost around £2-3000.

On past experiences I have enjoyed driving across the states, taking in the scenery and easy going traffic etc. Pennsylvania is a state of beauty, but my favourite stretch of road is the Florida Keys.

Done New Zealand too, that is stunning, around Lake Taupo and south towards Rotorua.

For the UK I do enjoy the Isle of Wight.