Best Performance spark plugs, sports coils and HT leads

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The best spark plugs & HT leads improve performance. "Lets spark up about engines" An efficient engine needs a good supply of cold air laden with oxygen. The correct mixture of fuel and a good spark to ignite the mixture. The two main components of a plug are:- 1)The ceramic casing which is a good […]

Continue reading... or post your comments below on this article.

FWIW I use NGK IRIDIUM plugs
Multi earth/ground plugs DO NOT spark to all 2/4 earth electrodes the only spark to 1 .
Indexing the plugs can give a better flame front for better combustion and a bit more power in some cases.

I favour Nippon Denso Iridium plugs for their sheer durability. There's even an 'Iridium TOUGH' for high temperature applications.

Do we still use HT leads? Even my (old) 2001 BMW 528i was a plug-top pencil coil per cylinder arrangement.

Multiple ground (earth) electrodes don't serve much purpose in my opinion.

another vote for NGK iridiums

The fact that almost all the skyline tuners and track guys use them is good enough for me

The fact that almost all the skyline tuners and track guys use them is good enough for me

That fact would make me do more research and ask the minority what they are using and why? :) I have seen too many sheep in my time to blindly trust the majority. Mind you, they are a very good plug so may well be the best for the job.

I look at it a slightly different way why try and reinvent the wheel
RBs run hot at normal boost so at higher boost things are more critical and if a plug fails it can be big trouble and the irridiums are a tried and tested plug. I would rather others take the chance first.

If you are happy to run with the pack then use the same wheel. However, wheels have come a long way since they were invented and evolution is ongoing, so there may well be a wheel that will give you that slight edge that allows you to lead the pack.

Tried and tested doesn't necessarily mean that they are the best.

My wheels may, of course, fall apart at the first corner :)

I had RBMs plugs for a while and, yep they failed within weeks. Managed to get some Splitfire plugs from Paul at JDM and totally transformed the engine, I was amazed.

Do changing glow plugs on my tdi make any difference, or is that a completely different subject?

They're just to heat up the cylinders to help the diesel fire at cold, and sometimes they keep on when the engine is running til it warms up.

They're not strictly necessary, but they do make cold starts a lot easier.

They're just to heat up the cylinders to help the diesel fire at cold, and sometimes they keep on when the engine is running til it warms up.

They're not strictly necessary, but they do make cold starts a lot easier.

They are crucial for DPF regeneration in many engines.