Best performance family car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you have a family and need a sensible car but still want a good driving experience there are quite a few models to choose from.

So if someone wanted a car with 5 doors and a decent sized boot but still needed a high performance fun car what suggestions would you make?

The Focus RS, The Impreza perhaps an Evo or RS6? I think i'd probably go with some kind of Audi Avant but I'm quite biased I suppose!

What are your suggestions for the best high performance family car?

Focus st 5 dr, intercooler and remap to a safe 260bhp.

Or for something bigger the mk4 mondeo 2.5T. Handles very good, fully loaded with kit. Same 5pot volvo unburstable engine, and there are now intercooler upgrades coming onto the market. Again mappable to 260 or more bhp.

Best thing about the above is they are band k as standard so even after the remaps it's still only 200 road tax, not a grand like some of the uber saloons are now.

THE CHOICE NEEDS TO BE NARROWED DOWN

there is the world of difference betwwen a 5 door hatch and a larger family saloon.

focus is fine but its hardly a true family car size in my book

If you mean a proper sports family saloon the choice would be simple IMO there is only one car

M5

and I dont really like bmws

The Focus RS is a 3 door pal.
I would of said my Astra but the boot is tiny IMO.

Thought they did a 5 door, perhaps it was the ST I was thinking of then.

This is quite subjective, and on boot space alone the S3 is a good option although it is still only a small car and they didn't do 5 doors until much later on in the production run.

As long as all the suggestions can be regarded as family cars I think they are valid, it's up to each of us to put our own bias and interpretation into the topic!:) (As always!)

Porsche Cayenne Magnum...

Seriously though, I think any straight 6 diesel car would make a good family car. They're powerful, mostly come with luxarious options and generally are spacious.

Chevy Impala SS. Four door of course. It's not a beamer but it is more affordable and is such a smooth ride. Tons of aftermarket too.

hi noob on here but just wanted to put me penny in , the deciding factor for me is cost ??
yeah an m5 is great awesome car , but get a half decent example for say 10 grand , you can pay less but high miles etc etc , you then have the running costs , same as an audi rs6 awesome tool , shame auto though unlike the rs4 , but running costs again , mpg etc etc hence why ive had scoobs for years ive got two kids , been camping went round europe in 2 of them not bad mpg and a lot less running cost , other cars i personally like would include a good few oil burners , easy to map great mpg and not bad servicing costs , 3.0 tdi a4 bmw 330d sport etc etc

I have the BMW ZF Steptronic as well. Mine's an SE not a Sport so the torque converter is mucher softer in take up but it suits the car and my driving style for the msot part.

still not a manual though is it lol
only joking. but i do use the gears a lot as i do a lot of track days and sprint races. i might get an auto when i retire.

still not a manual though is it lol
only joking. but i do use the gears a lot as i do a lot of track days and sprint races. i might get an auto when i retire.

It isn't. Even in step mode the changes are pretty leisurely. I'm possibly closer to retirement age than you though :)

lol no comment mate. as i honestly dont know. im 41 there you.go. auto yes one day. but not in the near future. then i would like something like a big comfy a8 oil burner. with all the toys. lovely car. do like my bmw.s and audi.s just all the good peeformance one.s i cant afford lol

OK - not much in it then. I'm only 42. The 528i was an emergency used purchase - there was no particular want for auto or manual. I needed a car in a hurry and this presented itself so immaculately at the time I went ahead and parted with my cash.

I'll happily drive anything really, steptronic, auto, manual, DSG.

I'm going to step aside from this thread as I feel I'm slightly guilty of hijacking :-(

for me personally an average sized 3dr hatchback is sufficient for my needs so I'll go with either a focus rs or a megane 260